Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callpilot with Exchange 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 11, 2005
US
Has anyone tried to get the local Callpilot store to be apart of the Exchange(2003)store? If so, how did you do it and is it a major hack(or headache)? I also have not been able to change the location of the local Callpiolt store to a shared drive. I have seen in the registry that CallPilot client uses AD type variables such as ou=users,ou=callpilot with port 389(LDAP). Is there a way to have the Callpilot server talk to an Excahnge server in the same way?

Any help or direction would be great.

Thanks,

Computerchris

Sent a star to mitelguy and biv343.
This was a great explanation.

NARSBARS

Below is a link to the CallPilot player only - not the entire UM install. It sounds like maybe some folks are trying to ship the messages to a PDA device or something along those lines. This is a Windows program, but maybe it can be loaded on a PDA or manipulated in some way - I'm not a software guy by any means.

Or, just load it on your PC, and if it a voice message shows up in Exchange, you'll be able to play it.

Where does that file/software come from? Why have we not seen it before? Did Nortel create it?

That's the downloadable VBK player that comes with MyCallPilot on the Meridian/Succession PBX platforms. It's so you can have a player on your PC if using the MyCallPilot web messaging.

You can install the player with the standard callpilot cd and uncheck update mail profile etc...

If you create a rule in Outlook this would be a client-side rule and Outlook would have to be running all the time, correct?

Computerchris

Ok, all the information on this post is getting confusing.

First of all it seems that Callpilot cannot be configured into Exchange. Would everyone agree?

If you install the Callpilot software and look at the configured account in Outlook, it shows up as MAPI. Everyone in this post says its IMAP. Which is it? Rules do not work in this setup. If you do not install the Callpilot software you can add an IMAP account in Outlook that only shows the inbox of you Callpilot store. Also the rules work when done this way.

Now as far as the .vbk and .wav format goes, what domain must the VM cross before it is converted to a .wav file, the BCM domain, the Windows AD domain? I have forwarded a VM message to an external account and it shows up as a .vbk attachment. This is different that what everyone is saying again. I have the box checked that tells the VM to convert to a .wav file, but this won't work because of the previous paragraph. Even if I forward it manually, it still shows up as a .vbk file.

I hope this explains more in detail of the issues with Callpilot.

As always, thanks for everyone’s help and replies.

Computerchris

>>>> Now as far as the .vbk and .wav format goes, what domain must the VM cross before it is converted to a .wav file, the BCM domain, the Windows AD domain? I have forwarded a VM message to an external account and it shows up as a .vbk attachment. This is different that what everyone is saying again. I have the box checked that tells the VM to convert to a .wav file, but this won't work because of the previous paragraph. Even if I forward it manually, it still shows up as a .vbk file.>>>

There are a couple of different ways to forward a Voice Mail, as I recall if you forwarded the message from the Call Pilot Player, it was converted to a "WAV" file. If on the other hand you just forwarded from one of the Outlook views (i.e. right-click Forward), it sent the ".vbk" instead.

If you create a rule in Outlook this would be a client-side rule and Outlook would have to be running all the time, correct? YES

Message must be forwarded via CallPilot player to convert to .WAV

The CallPilot is an IMAP server the client runs in MAPI mode.

Ultimately the CallPilot should just send a copy of your message to a SMTP mail server but it doesn't. Even if CallPilot could send message to email address as part of off premise notification which it can't.
All would be fine but Nortel insists on opening the message in a proprietary player. Most other vendors just deliver the message as .WAV and they are played back in a standard media player. IMAP is an ideal protocol for unified messaging because it is retrieve only. Definition of unified messaging= Message appears at phone and mail client but need only be deleted from one location to effect delete at both locations. Some vendors take this even further and allow clientless retrieval and unified messaging via web client. 3Com NBX anybody?

WOW! Thank you biv343 (Vendor) for the awesome link to the stand-alone Nortel CallPilot player only - not the entire UM install. I have been searching for this legendary VBK file player since I went live on my BCM50 6/05. My vendor was clueless even though he claimed to have called Nortel direct for this. I guess it is well hidden in the Meridian line? Anyway - it works great on my home PC, laptop and off-site locations where we must be able to listen to the original .VBK voicemail file, not a .WAV conversion. It would be cool to get it hacked and running in a MS Windows Mobile POCKETPC phone edition like my Samsung i730. My dream would be making an Outlook rule on my office PC (powered up 24hrs) to send a copy of new call pilot messages to my email - then I could hear and forward remotely via PC anywhere in the world. But per my research and this thread - it is not possible....yet?

Joe
Seattle
Insurance Agency

If you are simply looking for additional alerts indicating you have voicemails (mrmarshall) then you may find use in the Message Notification or Telephone Options menu at the users MyCallPilot webpage (default is You can set up remote text (SMS) messages and/or have it call a phone or pager. Mine calls my cell phone to let me know I have a message and gives me the option to listen to it then. Of course if calls are important enough the Telephone Option screen can give the caller the option of being transferred to another phone such as another employee or even your own cell phone. This is the same website where you can download the CallPilot Player.

Charlie

mrburch

Is that address current? I can't get there from here.

NARSBARS

Mrburch

What I am looking for is a noise to be played when mail arrives in the mailbox in outlook for call pilot messages like on a standard outlook profile. The notification etc I can set up on the call pilot with remote notification with mailbox manager on the PC.

Thanks Marshall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back