Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callpilot 4.0 on OPT11C - modem programming? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1north

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2007
CA
How do I program a new external modem for dialup to this mail? Is it the same as mermail?

Thx

PCAnywhere is not require, its optional, if you want to use PCAnywhere you can, or for those that wants to use RDC, they can too. PCAnywhere is for those that complaints about leaving certain ports open on the RDC side.

that patch is for people that are using PCAnywhere.

Modem not answering....I was able to get onto the server locally with my laptop plugged into the hub.

The modem will not answer the calls. I tried 2 modems and rebooted the mail server twice while attached. Is it possible I need to do a factory reset on the modem and then hook it up and reboot the server? Using US robotics 33600 external fax modem.

Thx

My question here is that isnt the Modem at fault? Its not answering the call....

sledslapper...you said you have tried two diferrent
modems are both doing the same not answering ?are they
new?

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

Yes, they do the same thing. The newer modem I just tried was already in use somewhere else so I am wondering if I need t reset it to factory defaults first and then go through the sequence.....but I think the pilot might be to blame. The original modem was working fine up to a week ago. Now ring no answer.

strmwalker - where do I find the Nortel document you referenced above? DTR-2007-0069-Glogal date june 29,2007
page 32 bulletin 6.14

sledslapper...do you have access with a login for the
nortel website?if so it would be under the tab
marked solutions.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

Lets start with the obvious...

Have you checked the OS (Device Manager) to see if your modem is listed and reported as attached to COMM1?

Is there more than 1 modem listed in Device Manager?

Can you send a query to the modem from the OS?

There should only be 1 modem listed in Device Manager and when you show the properties of it and query the modem, the modem should return all of it init string.

If the modem listed in Device Manager is not the modem you have attached then either attach the correct one or install the correct drivers for the new one.

Theses are serial modem, they're not Plug n Play. You have to tell the OS what kind of modem and load the proper drivers for it.

Once that's complete, you'll have to check RAS Administrator and make sure there's only 1 modem listed in there and its attached to COMM 1

This is a callpilot 200i system if that helps...

200i would mean WinNT 1.07?

Do a hyperterm connection from the server to com1 and connect you laptop to it with a Null modem (and launch Hyperterm on you laptop on com1) and if you get nothing (just type a bunch of letter in hyperterm) then there is a Com1 issue or cable issue....

Latest.....Here is the event log from the system:

Friday, February 22, 2008 12:35:52 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7009, Description: Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:27:19 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [CTMS Server] Event from [] , Event: ID=25, Description: Dialogic Event Management system initialisation failed. This means that one of the necessary stages of the startup of the CT Server has failed. The CT Server will not start. You should try again to start the CT Server. If that fails. contact Dialogic Tech Support. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:27:19 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7000, Description: The Remote Access Server service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:27:15 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7009, Description: Timeout (120000 milliseconds) waiting for service to connect. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:25:48 PM 38728
Alarm Set Critical MWI [] NBosa_Call ServiceThread:Notification Client is not functioning. Rc=3, MaxRetry=1
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:25:18 PM 38728
Alarm Set Critical MWI [] NBosa_Call ServiceThread:Notification Client is not functioning. Rc=102, MaxRetry=0
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:25:12 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE= 9.0.0.16 registered failed. Cause=0x0 .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:25:10 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE=9.0.0.11 .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:25:10 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE=9.0.0.10 .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:24:18 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [CTMS Server] Event from [] , Event: ID=25, Description: Dialogic Event Management system initialisation failed. This means that one of the necessary stages of the startup of the CT Server has failed. The CT Server will not start. You should try again to start the CT Server. If that fails. contact Dialogic Tech Support. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:22:59 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Tcpip] Event from [] , Event: ID=4187, Description: Invalid address ? was specified for adapter E100E2\Parameters\TCPIP. This interface cannot be initialized. .
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Tcpip] Event from [] , Event: ID=4187, Description: Invalid address ?54.0 was specified for adapter E100E2\Parameters\TCPIP. This interface cannot be initialized. .
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Tcpip] Event from [] , Event: ID=4187, Description: Invalid address H.254 was specified for adapter E100E2\Parameters\TCPIP. This interface cannot be initialized. .
Friday, February 22, 2008 12:22:56 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [EventLog] Event from [] , Event: ID=6008, Description: The previous system shutdown at 12:15:11 PM on 2/22/08 was unexpected. .
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:12:18 PM 40592
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:12:17 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7026, Description: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: Mouclass .
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7000, Description: The Remote Access Server service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion. .
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:10:51 PM 38728
Alarm Set Critical MWI [] NBosa_Call ServiceThread:Notification Client is not functioning. Rc=3, MaxRetry=1
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:10:20 PM 38728
Alarm Set Critical MWI [] NBosa_Call ServiceThread:Notification Client is not functioning. Rc=102, MaxRetry=0
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:10:14 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE= 9.0.0.16 registered failed. Cause=0x0 .
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:10:11 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE=9.0.0.11 .
Friday, February 15, 2008 2:10:11 PM 40592
Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [AML_TSP] Event from [] , Event: ID=42810, Description: Incorrect DN is configured. LINE=9.0.0.10 .

Here is the problem...

Alarm Set Critical Fault Management Service [Service Control Manager] Event from [] , Event: ID=7000, Description: The Remote Access Server service failed to start due to the following error: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

Remote access service is not starting. Since you are on a 200i I assume you are on 1.07 software? What lights are on the modem when you plug it in? You should have a TR and CS light lit. Make sure you are using a straight through standard DB9 to DB25 cable.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

This appears to be a 201i running 4.o software. It has PC Anywhere trying to load and wont.

READ the whole post before you start posting. You have 3 options at this point, you can answer some of the questions posed to you, call your vendor or reimage the system. first you said it was a 201i then a 200i and now a 201i again.

Since we are not getting anywhere here, I would suggest that you call your vendor. If not this would be the next direction I would point you. Not the correct way to do this trouleshooting but I am done here. Remember the help you are getting here is free. Personally I am doing this out of boredom and would not generally give out this much advice or help without getting paid.

1. Perform a full backup of the system
2. reimage the machine
3. Restore from the backup

This will install a clean image of the operating system and application. Your vendor needs to include the latest PEPs here before the restore.

You will not have PCAnywhere installed at this point, you can have them install it or not it is your choice. My personal preference is not to install it per the DTR as posted above.

We are obviously not able to help you with this problem in this forum. The modem for CallPilot is not difficult and there is no trick. Take it out of the box, plug it into the callpilot, power on the modem, power on the callpilot. That is all there is to the configuration.

Good luck to you.

Signature===========================================
Artificial Intelligence Is No Match for Natural Stupidity.

The latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the population.

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Red meat is not bad for you, it is the green fuzzy meat that is bad.

tnphoneman - I understand your frustrated with helping me as I have not answered questions that have been asked.

In fairness to all, I will take some time and work through this post to see if I can get things answered in correct order. There is some great info here and I need to work through it before I post back.

I want to fix this myself if possible. I have 5 years on M1 but only 2 weeks on call pilot. I dont want to throw in the towel just yet.

FYI - I already had a vendor look at this. They recommmend the re-image of the software as there fix, If all else fails, I will do this.

Ok. Here is what I have found out with the Call Pilots I have installed.

1. There is a PCAnywhere PEP that does work, and it works with no issues that I have found.

2. You should keep up to date will all your patches for all your applications. This should be a standard service provided by your maintenance vendor. Things just run better when everything is patched.

3. The 201i server has to be the easiest of all the servers to work on. I figured everything out just by opening the books and reading. If you don't have books ask the vendor who sold it to you, or installed. You paid for these. The techs that installed did not.

4. RAS Service on Call Pilot sucks. I don't use RAS, instead I set up an Advanced Network connection and have no issues or conflicts with Server 2003 when I do this

----

A. Take the modem out of the box. DO NOT CHANGE ANY SETTINGS OR PROGRAM ANY AT COMMANDS. This works well right out of the box.

B. Plug the modem into COM port cable. You might have to reboot to get it to see the modem. Don't complain to me, I didn't design it. This is just the way it works sometimes. If your Call Pilot is clean an reboot should not be scary and should only take a few minutes.

C. Go to Network Connections and create a new connection (Advanced Connection) that will accept incoming calls.

D. If RAS service is set up, the server will tell you that it is and it will tell you to disable RAS before setting up this Advanced Connection.

E. Once the RAS service window opens up, on the Right side, you will see your computer name. Right Click and disable the service.

F. Go back to Network Connections and create the Advanced Connection. Use all defaults except for the modem connection. Choose your modem.

G. Make sure you allow for all logins to access this.

H. Dial in. It will ring 3 to 4 times, sometimes even as many as 5 rings, and then answer so don't freak when it doesn't answer on the first ring.

You can then access PCAnywhere if you want, or use RDC. Just don't load patches with RDC.

I change this service on all my installs and it works without fail. I don't know why they don't just use this method, but if you look in the Symposium Documents it will show this method as a way to set up a connection to their server.

I hope this helps. I am coming off a new Call Pilot 5.0 install and do this as well and it works like a charm. By the way when you install now 201i is not an option. It's all 600r and they use a USB US Robotics modem with no dip switches to set.

John

5.0 does work with 201i, unless you are saying they do not sell the hardware anymore not sure about that.

OK, here are some updates:

Call Pilot 201i server running Win NT Ver2.01.26 and the PEPS are updated to April 2007.

The modem is installed on the server. I uninstalled it, and re0installed another one. The OS saw the modem, queeried it, and installed it so it seems to be working.

The problems I am getting in the OS are:

1. On startup: PCAnywhere had a compatibility problem with your system. AW_Host.sys is disabled. On host operating page change video mode to "Accelerator enabled"

2. After startup: RAS failed to start. Rasnbipc.dll could not be found, and shows a bunch of locations it looked for it.

I did a search in the OS for this file and it isnt anywhere on the box.

Am I looking at a re-image here or can this be fixed?

THx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back