Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Callpilot 4.0 on OPT11C - modem programming? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1north

IS-IT--Management
Sep 28, 2007
CA
How do I program a new external modem for dialup to this mail? Is it the same as mermail?

Thx

When the modem is plugged in and CallPilot is booted it sends a set up string to the modem. Leave the modem at the defaults. I believe you had to configure an incoming connection in windows to answer the modem though.

US Robitics DIP switch settings are 3,5,8 on, all the rest off.

OK, I have an existing modem that is ring no answer. Phone line works ok. I assume its toast or should I just reboot the mail and see if it re-programs the modem?

Reboot the mail. Also you might need to update your PEPs. 4.0 had a problem with the modem.

You do not need to reboot the mail to check the Remote Access service. Just stop the service and restart it.

callenj - How do I connect to the pilot if I cant dial in? Can I connect locally in the room to the card?

Yes you could, assuming you use a laptop(or local pc), know where the elan switch/hub is at, and know of an available ip address on that range.

Ok, this is great info. I can locally plug into the hub and configure an IP address in the same range and get to the pilot.

Now - We tried swapping out the modem and rebooting the mail 2 times. It doesn not appear to be talking to the modem because anytime we call the modem it doesnt pick up.

Any ideas on what I can do now?

sledslapper...is your callpilot 201i server?if so
you need to have pcanywhere installed on it in order
to get the modem to work look at your peps to see
if you have CP404ACC001S.exe or CP404ACC002S.msi
either one of these should work CP404ACC002S.msi
is the latest and greatest pcanywhere pep.

no problems only solutions

strmwalker

I have several systems installed without PCAnywhere. I use standard dial up networking and remote desktop.

tnphoneman... thats great try going to nortel when
you have a trouble with dialup and see whats they tell
you.

strmwalker

I have had no problems with nortel. As a matter of fact that is how you had to do it in 3.0. On a 201i you could not install PCAnywhere.

tnphoneman...if you look at the post it said 4.0
not 3.0 its not a argument it is fact you have to have
pcanywhere loaded on a 201i server in order to have
support from nortel per nortel document.i deal with
this every day.

strmwalker

So do I. As a matter of fact I have been working on CallPilot since 1.05. I have done a few of these in my time and have had to get Nortel involved in some cases and have never had any trouble with them. Maybe it is because the level 1 techs can never help and I get moved to level 2 fairly quickly. I am not arguing the fact but the thing is the statement of you need to have PC anywhere for the modem to answer is incorrect. Even with PCAnywhere installed you still use dial up networking to connect. Yes you can set PCAnywhere to answer if you like. On 4.0 PCAnywhere was an option and they went back to requiring it on 5.0. At least on the 201i. The 70x and 100x you did have to install PCAnywhere.

tnphoneman..you are correct on the 70x and 100x but miss
informed on the 201i 4.0 you have to have pcanywhere.

strmwalker

To settle the PCAnywhere issue:

This is from the CP 4.0 DTR dated Feb 2007.

7.4 Installation & Upgrades

• Do not install PC Anywhere on the 201i server. PCAnywhere is not supported on the 201i
server, as it results in a conflict with the software on that server – resulting in occasional blue
screens.

Thank you yyrkroon I did not have that document handy.

sledslapper sorry about all the posts. Did you get your modem working?

yyrlroon..per nortel technical support technical bulletin
id:2006006694,Rev 50
published:2007-10-29
region:all
priority:major
pep CP404ACC002.msi PCAnywhere (host only)201i only

strmwalker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor