Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID not display till phone picked up 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

cain12

IS-IT--Management
Apr 19, 2005
US
We have a CICS system with two CLID PSTN cards. We set the incoming call ring on all DNs. For some reason, the caller ID is not showing on the phones, even waiting for a few rings. But after pickup the phone, it display the caller ID. Or feature 811 would also display caller ID. How can we make the caller ID display before pickup the phone?

It runs 6.1 firmware. I already enabled the caller ID for the line. Thanks for your help!

you must set this on a set by set basis. Under terminals and sets, show set number (ex. 221) press next till telco features. press show there is a setting for call id set change to yes.

That telco feature for caller id setting is already set to yes. The problem is the caller ID only shows after you picked up the phone, not during its ring.

Because the lines are set ring and appear on all the phones, it started to ring on the first ring. I thought the caller ID was transmmit during or after first ring. Should CICS 6.1 smart enough to display that after the DNs ringing already?

For lines that I want to ring on all DNs, not going through CP, how could I get caller ID displayed before pickup the call? Thanks!

I believe the caller ID is sent during or after first ring. That is why most phone system requires to have two rings before it get into IVR part. For CICS with caller ID card, it should be able to display caller ID even without the IVR from the CP.

The question is for the lines that 'ring & appear', they just start to ring at the first incoming ring. How to get them display the caller ID?

I have an MICS, so your menu structure might differ, but in the MICS:
Terminals & Sets/Telco Features/1st Display
Change it to Name for all your sets.

polarbear85

It was Name before, I changed them to number. Makes no difference. Is your phone system ring on the first incoming ring? When would you see the caller ID displayed,
after first ring, or after 2nd ring? Regular caller ID house phone would display caller ID on its first ring. I wonder CICS could be able to do that, too.

CLID will only come automatically on the prime of the line. So if you have multiple appearances of a line, only the prime set will clid. The rest you have to press f811.

callerid comes before the 2nd ring and CICS / older MICS are different

Under Terminals and Sets of the set (eg 221)
goto telco features
Select EACH of the ringing line and enable caller ID yo Y
Then selct what needs to be displayed first

CLID will only come automatically on the prime of the line. So if you have multiple appearances of a line, only the prime set will clid. The rest you have to press f811."

Yes, we do have all the DNs 'ring & appear', that might be the reason. Since all the DNs 'ring & appear', we did not set prime set -- that is probably why no one can see the caller ID. I don't know why if we have 5 house phone on the line, all of them can display caller ID. But through CICS, all the sets can not display caller ID, unless feature 811 :-<

cain12, You are starting to get a bit of bogus info here. On CICS, if caller ID is set up properly for every set and every line on each set, it will work properly for you. It has nothing to do with anything primed. CICS caller ID has always worked properly from 1.0 all the way up to current 7.0 release. Now, on the other hand, MISC had issues that are being desribed here and didn't get fixed until about 6.1. Look at every line on every set.

MarvO said it

I already checked every line and doing that over and over. I had changed from name first to number first also -- under telco feature.

I have CICS with 8 incoming PSTN lines. Two of the lines not going through CP has caller ID on them. Those two lines are 'ring and appear' on all DNs. I enabled callerID in the line's telco feature. I enabled the terminal and sets to display caller ID, used to be name first and now, I changed to number first.

Caller ID does not show on all the DNs, until the phone is being answered, of by pressing f811. I want to make caller ID showing on all DNs before the call is being picked up, without pressing f811. If anyone knows, please help. If you like discuss, that is also fine. But I do not like nasty people trying to act like above two persons. I will report abuse for anyone trying to abuse this great firum.

This is a little different, but it worked for me on a 3x8 w/ dr5, I can't remember exactly, but I think I disabled the auto handsfree. ???
covcom

Try your 'call log' Cain12. I had this same problem and it turned out that I had to have the set "log" calls in order for it to show info before pick-up.

cain12,
Under the actual lines heading you have to change the caller ID to Y for each line also.

At terminals and sets enter ext number eg :222 press show, press next till you get to telco features, press show, press show again, it should say show line. Enter line number, Press show, should say caller id, change to Y. Repeat for all lines that appear and ring on that set.

It still does not work. No matter show set to caller ID or caller name, it just would not show. So we end up purcahsed a separate caller ID annoucing device hook in front of the phone system, and let speaker announce the phone number, since no one can see it.

It is a shame that Nortel could not figure out how to get this work, even a $20 phone could display that correctly these days.

its probably not nortel's fault - atleast in this case.

it could be technical mismatch - what country setting of CLID are you using? (CO settings, CLID card settings, and Norstar version all should 'match' )

a qualified vendor might be able to fix it or try and refer to these docs for programming instructions

MICS 6.1 Installer Guide

pages 325,6 <program all CLID lines to ring on the sets>
pages 347,8,9 <program all required lines to present cli>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back