Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Caller ID Name & Number on Avaya G3si 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BoricuaBlanco

Technical User
May 5, 2004
US
Is there a way to get the Calling name as well as the number on an Avaya G3si? I have my DIDs going over an ISDN PRI circuit and are currently receiving just the number. I have seen a name appear when someone calls from Avaya.

It depends on if your LEC offers the service. I have a G3si here in Southern California with ISDN service from PacBell (SBC). They have a little known service you can add to their local PRI circuits called "Calling Name Delivery" and it will deliver name w/number provided the source is not blocked or otherwise not available. It's added to each PRI T1 (not the incoming DIDs) so it works on all incoming calls on that T1. It's $25/mo for us.

You must be running the NI-2 ISDN protocol and on your PRI trunk group you need to set this field to (y)es:

US NI Delayed Calling Name Update? y

I've had it for about 18 months now.

I think if you call from G3 to G3, it'll display, if you have the features turned on in the trunk group. There is some embedded ISDN signaling done..

I've had that happen as well..

BuckWeet

Hey TivoNut, I'm in SoCal too ... what city are you in? I'm in the Valley (Encino) and my local SBC rep claims there is no such offering for name delivery calling "Calling Name Delivery" over local PRI DID trunks? Can you check your bill to see how exactly it's listed?

Thanks,
Bill

I checked with my SBC and it's not an offering either, San Diego area.

I'm in Irvine and actually have the best SBC person ever. Your SBC reps are clueless, but you probably already knew that. :) It is, in fact, called Calling Name Delivery. It doesn't show on my bill, it's bundled in with other charges. However, this past week, I just received my detailed service record and it's broken out on there. If you like, I can fax you a copy of the page to show your rep(s). It's entirely possible it's not available in all COs, but the service does exist and works great!

Follow up with an email to remind me and I can fax or email you an image of the page on Monday (assuming I didn't throw it out already, I don't think I did.)

My email is steveg AT drapers.com

The service I have from SBC (Pacific Bell) shows on my customer service record as:

PRI Calling Name Delivery $25.00

Calling name appeared in release 8.1 (also called enhanced PRI). Calling name and number with four digit dialing from one G3 to another G3 is called Distributed Communications System (DCS). Ask your rep if they support DCS and/or enhanced PRI.

Verizon NJ advises that we can get caller id name and number on an ISDN PRI (DID); however, we have not been able to get anyone at Avaya to confirm that both can be passed thru to display on 6408D phones. Most say that we are limited to 15 characters and name OR number. The display has two 24 character lines. Has anyone displayed both name and number (truncating the name portion would be ok) on G3si on DID calls?

Absolutely! We use all variations of the 6400 series phones on our G3si. They all display just fine, name on the top line and number on the bottom line. The name does get cut off sometimes, but it's because telco only sends 15 chars.

I spoke with BHodgins (in a message above) and last week he was able to get SBC to turn on the service for him. It took a little effort on his part, but he got it going.

Yes, that's right ... it took a lot of effort, mostly because most of the SCB business reps don't know about this feature. But it's working now (after the 2nd provisioning effort), and it's GREAT!!!

Ok, now that TivoNut gave the link my SBC rep can see the light!

They will turn it up for $125 initial, $25 per month. I'm not clear on the Trunk Group programming and if this will work for us. Below is my trunk group config. Also I want to know the following:

- Ensure that this will work with my T1 Config or do I need to change anything
- Ensure that this feature won't take away any ANI/we already have in place
- Will this work on LD trunks with ANI as well or only local trunks

Thank you in advance for any advice/help!

display trunk-group 1 Page 1 of 10
TRUNK GROUP

Group Number: 1 Group Type: isdn CDR Reports: y
Group Name: Local PacBell ISDN DID Call COR: 95 TN: 1 TAC: 601
Direction: two-way Outgoing Display? n Carrier Medium: PRI/BRI
Dial Access? n Busy Threshold: 99 Night Service:
Queue Length: 0
Service Type: public-ntwrk Auth Code? n TestCall ITC: rest
Far End Test Line No:
TestCall BCC: 0
TRUNK PARAMETERS
Codeset to Send Display: 6 Codeset to Send National IEs: 6
Max Message Size to Send: 260 Charge Advice: none
Supplementary Service Protocol: a Digit Handling (in/out): enbloc/enbloc

Trunk Hunt: descend
Digital Loss Group: 15
Calling Number - Delete: Insert: Numbering Format: pub-unk
Bit Rate: 1200 Synchronization: async Duplex: full
Disconnect Supervision - In? y Out? n
Answer Supervision Timeout: 0
TRUNK FEATURES
ACA Assignment? n Measured: internal Wideband Support? n
Maintenance Tests? y
Data Restriction? n NCA-TSC Trunk Member:
Send Name: n Send Calling Number: y
Used for DCS? n
Suppress # Outpulsing? n Numbering Format: public
Outgoing Channel ID Encoding: preferred UUI IE Treatment: service-provider

Replace Restricted Numbers? n
Replace Unavailable Numbers? n
Send Connected Number: y
Network Call Redirection: none
Send UUI IE? y
Send UCID? n
Send Codeset 6/7 LAI IE? n Ds1 Echo Cancellation? n

US NI Delayed Calling Name Update? y

SBS? n Network (Japan) Needs Connect Before Disconnect? n

Toni269 said:
- Ensure that this will work with my T1 Config or do I need to change anything
- Ensure that this feature won't take away any ANI/we already have in place
- Will this work on LD trunks with ANI as well or only local trunks

To answer your questions, the ONLY thing I had to change on my trunk group was the y/n flag I documented above. It actually works with this flag set to no, but doesn't display the name when the phone rings, only after you put the call on hold or transfer it. Setting it to Yes causes it to display while ringing.

This feature won't adversely affect anything else you have. If name is not available, it won't show. The LEC is providing the name, so if it can't find the number in its DB, you won't get a name.

This only works if your carrier will send you the name. If your LD carrier can deliver name over their trunks, it will work fine, but I don't know any LD carriers that (yet) deliver name on their PRIs.

Your trunk setup looks good, just get SBC to turn it on and it will start working. Let us know when you get it. Good luck!

If I am correct you have to have your PRI set up for the "B" protocol as well. Even though bell can deliver the information over the "A" protocol, Avaya does not support it to the best of my knowledge. At least that is what I have found on with our experiences. Calling number works on "A" just not calling name.

If someone knows how to make it work with the A protocol I'm all ears. :)

Can you verify what protocol you guys have associated with that signaling group? For those who got it to work, is your protocol A or B?

In the future everything will work...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back