Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Recording Issue 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgrossman

Technical User
May 31, 2011
US
Having a strange issue with approximately half of the calls being recorded. The customer's system is as follows:

IP 406 DS version 5.0(26) (do not tell me to upgrade as they no longer make money)
Voicemail Pro w/ 14 ports never reaching capacity
Xima call accounting

Calls come into a voicemail module, route to a hunt group of analog ports that go to a taxi dispatch system which is just playing a greeting, and then the call is transferred to a hunt group where the call recording is set to On.

Every call follows the exact same path and this can be seen within Xima's cradle to grave. Some of the calls are recorded and some are not. I also should add that the customer does not want the portion of the call recorded where the caller is within the taxi dispatch system listening to a message as this is useless information.

Thanks in advance!

What is the taxi dispatch system, and what is it doing?

As far as I can see, this only plays a greeting? Why not using VM pro for that?

Try to set the recoring feature on the huntgroup to 'Mandantory'

It does more than that from what I told, but this is the only function the caller sees. I believe during high call volume times, the system gives the caller the ability to leave messages, choose separate options, etc. There are some benefits to this system over Voicemail Pro but I am not 100% sure. It is called UDI.

When setting the call recording feature to Mandatory, nothing is changed. Same thing happens.

Based on what you telling me now, VM pro can do all that and even better, since VM pro is able to check the calls in the queue, where an analog based system is never able to do that.

But okay, that's not the question here, I was just curious.

Now, when you did change the setting to 'Mandantory' and the call is transferred to a agent, then the recording should take place.

Are you able to make some test calls while running System status. That way you can check if a VM pro channel is busy during the call.

Where are the recordings stored? Mailbox of the huntgroup?

The recording should also take place when it is set to On. The difference between the two is if the call cannot be recorded, Mandatory returns a busy signal whereas On allows the call through. There are tons of calls going on at all times so it becomes a little challenging match up the VRL entries to the agents, but there are never as many VRL entries as agents on the phone, which would make sense here as all of the calls are not being recorded. These calls are going to the VRL, not to the mailbox.

Personally I would never use mandatory for voice recording, unless you're in a business where you're willing to NOT receive the call (e.g. wave goodbye to the customer) if it can't be recorded. All that needs to happen is the VM pro server to crash, the service to stop, and if you're running mandatory, then you get NO calls through.

That said, I would do voice recording at the agent level. This permits recording both inbound and outbound, internal and external calls. I would set to ON, send to VRL library, and then in system/voicemail reserve the same number of voicemail ports as you have physical seats for agents.

Calls that transfer to a UDI IVR system aren't going to be recorded, but they should get recorded if calls drop out of the UDI IVR and are transferred back to an agent group (assuming voice recording is applied to everyone who could be in the group).

call goes like this?

Line - IP500 - VM Pro callflow (to play company specific recording warning) - transfer to UDI - potential transfer back from UDI IVR to agent HG - agent (who is recorded).

Is that what you want?

Done this multiple times, albeit at later software release (R8, R9), should work.

GB

The funny thing about this situation is every single agent has voice recording set to ON for both inbound and outbound with the VRL selected. That was actually one of the first things I tried.

Have you checked system status for alarms re all VM ports in use?

You're CERTAIN that VM ports are not being overused?

GB

I am sure Greybeard. This was the first thing we checked when they reported this issue and initially this was a problem. They purchased more licenses to fix this issue and since adding them, they have not had one instance of all ports being in use.

My understanding is that with call recording it is not advised to have the call recording activated in multiple locations - ie record the call on the incoming call route , not the hunt group or the user ; or alternatively record the call only on the hunt group or only on the user. Otherwise you may have multiple ports recording the same call.

That's what I was thinking as well. I am going to make that change and I will let everyone know the results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back