Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call recorders 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeydidit

IS-IT--Management
Feb 10, 2003
US
About a year ago we bought a call recorder. I won't mention the brand but it's been constant trouble. You guys using Nice and Witness,?? systems. Do your call recorder systems give you as much grief as this one is giving me?

What does the community recommend if I need to replace this one?

Thanks all.

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

We are using a major brand recorder that is also giving us problems. It's isn't NICE or Witness and I too would be interested to hear what others have to say about it.

We have problems with calls not getting recorded for unknown reasons,

We also have problems with the way the system records. I just don't understand why an intelligent person would design a system to record calls the way this one is designed. You have CTI data. Use it to trigger call recording and once the call is completed release the port. There is no reason it should have to tie up a record port waiting for calls on a single station.

This recorder uses CTI but only to associate the agent/user with the recording.

Another design flaw is that you cant even make changes to the configs unless you stop the service. I think it's common practice in the application design world to read config files when loading an app and possible refreshing from those configs occasionally. But to prevent those configs from changing is silly.

Ok ... I'll get off my soapbox. I also will not identify the recording platform I'm using. I will however state that it has been less that satisfactory.

Sounds like we have the same system simreal lol. This is a small system just recording around 5 channels. But these are important calls or they would not be recorded. The DVD drive gave us fits, so we finally replaced that. That was keeping the archiving process from working. Hosed up the client applications so it was useless. Now if i stay logged into it through remote desktop. it works fine. But if i log off it hoses up and stops recording to the DVD drive.

But i hear that NICE is just as bad which is what promoted to start this thread.

Well We just moved from a Witness recording platform to this new platform. The Witness system worked fine. It was a little old but it did the job. We actually had the Witness platform and an older version of this new platform.

The only reason we moved to the new platform was to consolidate to a single platform and to have that platform be located here instead of the remote site where Witness was located.

We also has a vested interest in the newer platform because we utilize the same vendor for screen capture and call recording for ASPECT phones so it seemed like common sense to migrate all of our recording to that platform.

If you only have problems when you log off then possibly the system your using doesnt have the permissions configured properly for that drive or application. Have you contacted a vendor or support provider about that?

What if you add a new external DVD drive and move your archive process to that drive?

I have spent at least the last 6 months working with the vendor that sold us this and their technical support group. It hangs, because of the failure to archive. It has remote access problems. Apparently this is nothing new to these units. I have to reboot the system when i leave a remote desktop session. Its really a troublesome unit that we are looking into expanding. I cant see adding more to something that is this much trouble

Just wondering if they all are or if someone has found one that just works without having to work on it all the time.

Mike,

I'll chime with my $.02 again, may I? I've been working with NICE call recorders for oh, like five or six years now and I can say they're quite stable. They can be a royal PITA to install and set up but once you got 'em working, they just do. Well, mostly. Sometimes they misbehave but overall I can't say we had major troubles with NICE.
If you need to record several lines, take a look at NICE Mirra IV recorder. It's intended for use with Public Safety agencies so you can imagine what it's focused on: simplicity, robustness, ease of use. It's a hardware box that doesn't require much maintenance. Consider this option, it may be well suited for your situation.

Regards, Alex.
My Avaya blog:

Hi all

Do You have experience with NICE/Witness in only SIP environment? Meaning no CTI nor H323...
E.g I've got only Session Manager and SIP trunk to provider and ofc some SIP phones...
How recording works in that case?

Thanks

Quality of Service Blog

wawior85,

NICE supports such environments, there are two possible options: Passive VoIP recording with SIP protocol decoder and "line-side SIP" recording utilizing Acme Packet or Convergence Session Border Controllers. In such case, NICE is using SIP headers directly instead of CTI information, so essentially there's no difference from user's point of view.

Regards, Alex.
My Avaya blog:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back