Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Assistant Hot Key Dialing

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbohn1

MIS
Apr 5, 2010
US
The one-X Portal's Call Assistant, supports hot key dialing.

Meaning, I can find any phone number on a website, word, outlook, excel, document and I should be able to highlight the number, then hit a hot-key combination and the number will dial.

Yes, this works, but without dialing a 9 or 9,1 first, the call does not go out through the PBX, you get the message, "Your Call cannot be completed as dialed..... etc."

Now the "issue" as stated in the IP Office 6.1 Release Notes.
...The number selected must be suitable for dialling. For example your telephone system uses an external dialling prefix that must be present in the number. It is not possible to edit the number before the one-X Call Assistant attempts to dial it...

So, is this a useless feature, OR, how can I get a 9 and also a 9 & 1 to "activate" in conjunction with my highlighting of the phone number on the web page, and pressing the hot key combination to make the call.

Not exactly Tom. In order to get into ARS you would have had to dial 9 to start so he could add that to system short codes but that could cause other issues. Also if you add ? dial . to ARS and the telephone number on the web site starts with a 9 then the leading 9 would be stripped and an invalid 9 digit number would be passsed to ARS vs the valid 10 digit number. We also have to add a 1 in the event it is long distance and remove the area code if needed. The guid I wrote handles all of these things.

To respond to the original question. It is smart enough to know it needs to remove any ( ) - or space characters so no, it is not useless.

Kyle Holladay
ACSS & APSS SME Communications
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"I have one speed, I have one gear...GO!!!" - Charlie Sheen

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

yes you have it easy over there

Kyle Holladay
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

"Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is the probable reason why so few engage in it." - Henry Ford

Benfit of common sense and forward planning by BT, not that they do that anymore :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

We would be in a bit better shape if we could get the hold out states to switch to a 10 digital dial plan instead of the 7 digits that they use today. It is much easier in the states that use a uniform 10 digit plan.

Kyle Holladay
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

You would be better off supporting overlap dialling too, then you could use the dial delay count and no more 9 for outside would be needed :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Kyle, over here they did such a change in 1995.
Everything changed to a 10 digit dialplan.

Leading 0 for a interlocal dialing (that is where a prefix is coming from, you always dial a prefix) and then you get a 3 or 4 digit number for the region/city.
At last you have a 6 or 7 digit number for the number.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

Well we do have a uniform 10 digit dial plan for the entire country however those states without overlay are still able to dial 7 digits for local numbers and 11 (1 + 10 digits) for long distance.

Kyle Holladay
MCP/MCTS Exchange 2007
Adtran ATSA, Aruba ACMA

Kholladay - its almost the same in England most numbers are 11 digits (some are 10), but in London you can knock off the first 020 part if you are dialling a local number, and in other areas you can knock off the first 4 or 5 digits if again its local.

The phone system can then just send these digits if calling out directly over BT, but it becomes more interesting when using ARS as you have to add the local code back in. so for London systems with ARS we have to add a 3N, 7N and 8N, and for other areas that like to use this feature we have to add in 1N, 2N....9N etc to add in the local code.

| ACSS SME |

For the second paragraph above ARS should read LCR or IDA.

| ACSS SME |

To be honest, i never ever dial any number without the area code first.
This habit is because of mobile phone which need the area code all the time.

BAZINGA!

mind you for SIP I set up the ARS for customers - im nice like that.

e.g (Birmingham)

xxxxxxx; / 0121N"@ITSP" / LGID

ACSS - SME

You do know that in ARS the @ITSP part is not required, just the . or N (or what you want to dial) and then the line gp, the IPO fills in the rest for you, at least I never fill it in and it works fine :)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Andy, the @ITSP part must besomewhere.
Do you use it in the system shortcode?

BAZINGA!

No, you do not need it, try it. As long as you have the Line configured you can just point the call to it , it still needs to be en block but you can save yourself the @Itsp part . Have done it in 6.1 and 7:)

ACSS (SME)
APSS (SME)

Hmm i will try when i can.

BAZINGA!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back