Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Call Accounting Software for S8510

Status
Not open for further replies.

rak342

Technical User
Jun 30, 2003
US
I work for a School District and we're receiving bomb threats. I would like to have some call accounting software in place to report the caller ID and other information to the police.
We currently have a PRI and Avaya S8510 server.
What call accounting software and hardware would you recommend. Is there any Open-source software that you recommend?
The cheaper the better...

Thanks,

rak342

Just a few thoughts: If a person is phoning in a Bomb scare he is probably smart enough to block his caller ID. So call accounting software wont help. If this is a constant thing call the local PD and ask them to open a case with the local telco. The Telco can place a trace on all your lines and when the call comes in you press a couple of buttons *57 for example and all data and might even record the call. Then the telco and PD converge on the guilty party.

I suggest you leave this to the professionals. And it wont cost you any money.

Just an old phone guy (don"t Poke the bear)

1a2 to ip I seen it all

Here's an example of one of our recent threats. A caller(Kid) got transferred to a teacher's voicemail box from our Auto attendant. The caller was stupid enough to record their message and so the teacher then receives a WAV file. We had a time stamp from the message and I called our phone company and reported to Police department. The Police received the call logs from the phone company but still could not identify the callers number.

I think if I had this software it would be easier to ID the caller, and with 1200 students in a building- piece of mind.

try activating MCT Malicious Call Trace.

A great teacher, does not provide answers, but methods to teach others "How and where to find the answers"

bsh

37 years Bell, AT&T, Lucent, Avaya
Tier 3 for 27 years and counting

If your dead set on a call accounting package, then I would recommend MicroCall. Very user friendly and these guys have great technical support.

I have to agree the 1A22ip, that the CID information is more than likely going to be blocked, so your CAS will be useless for that. Also your CO should be able to capture what records the PD need. I do things like this with our State police. The problem is someone has to get a court ordered subpoena to get these records. So it's a PITA to finally find and resolve these types of problems.

One other thought. You can have the number they are calling (it could be done on several) look at the incoming CID information. If their is none send, it can redirect that call to where ever. My suggestion would be to the local PD. But that may not go over to well with them. :)This would be using vectors (if that is turned on in your system)

When is the last time you helped someone, just because you were able to?

For the best response to a question, read faq690-6594

The replies so far are spot on, but timely information is important for analyzing such activity. Call accounting is relatively mundane data that can be useful in tracking and analyzing PBX usage. In addition, the call may have been internal and not seen by the telco at all, that could be a critical piece of information. There are SaaS based services that are east to start-up and utilize with minimal investment. I am not sure of everyone's pricing on this, but i do know that Matsch Systems NET-Phacs SaaS Call Accounting is only $600 to setup and $150 per month for a hosted, web based call accounting service on up to 250 extensions. I believe it goes up and down from there based on extension counts. I hope this helps you.

I think OfficeWatch by Metropolis is right up your alley and has all the features that seem to be important to you. The software is incredibly user-friendly, and Metropolis has 24/7 tech support. It also works with any PBX, so you wouldn't have any issues since they are partnered with Avaya. I suggest you check it out. I believe their website is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back