Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Calculating Date in Subform 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgarzoli

Technical User
Apr 25, 2005
US
Hi guys/girls,

I have a form with a subform. The main form is based on tblContact, and the subform is based on tblMeeting. Linked by Contact ID. One Contact can have many meetings associated with it.

In the main form I have a field that calculates age based on birthdate. Works great. I would also like to be able to create an age field in the subform, based on a meeting date field. So the age calculated, would be the age of the person at that meeting date. The birthdate field is located in the tblContact. And the meeting date field is located in tblMeeting.

I am having trouble getting a formula to calculate the age at the date of the meeting in the subform.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Try this ([blue]you![/blue] substitute proper names in [purple]purple[/purple]):
Code:
[blue][purple][b]TextBoxName[/b][/purple]=DateDiff("yyyy", Forms![purple][b]MainFormName[/b][/purple]![purple][b]BirthDate[/b][/purple], Me![purple][b]MeetingDate[/b][/purple])+ Int( Format(Me![purple][b]MeetingDate[/b][/purple], "mmdd") < Format( Forms![purple][b]MainFormName[/b][/purple]![purple][b]BirthDate[/b][/purple], "mmdd"))[/blue]

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

How are you TheAceMan1
Hopefully [purple]TextBoxName[/purple] isn't an unbound control in the Detail section of a continuous subform ...

I'm fine [blue]PHV . . .[/blue] hope this post finds you well!
PHV said:
[blue]Hopefully TextBoxName isn't an [purple]unbound control in the Detail section[/purple] of a continuous subform ...[/blue]
[purple]We'll easily find out . . . thats for sure![/purple] ;-)

Calvin.gif
See Ya! . . . . . .

Thanks for the quick responses. What is the 'Me!' piece in that formula? Do I substitute something in there?

Well, here's what I get when I use the above. When I try to enter it, it gives me a "You may have entered operand without an operator" error. This is the formula based on my forms...

=DateDiff("yyyy", Forms!Contact - Pro!DOB, Me!Meeting Date)+ Int( Format(Me!Meeting Date, "mmdd") < Format( Forms!Contact - Pro!DOB, "mmdd"))

Any ideas???

Thanks again

If you use names with embedded space you have to use brackets, examples:
Forms![Contact - Pro]!DOB
Me![Meeting Date]

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

Thanks PH,

I noticed above you mentioned something about it being an unbound textbox in the detail section. It is indeed an unbound textbox in the detail section. Is that a bad thing???

An unbound control in the Detail section of a continuous form has the SAME value for all records ...

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ222-2244

good point pvh!

Program Error
Programmers do it one finger at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back