Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable tester gives error on pin 6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2001
PR
If I get an error on pin 6 (the cable is probably cut somewhere, due, I think, to a remodeling job done on the office. And I would not dare break anything up)... Can I take, say, wire 3, 5, 7 or 8 and replace 6? Making the change also on the patch panel?

Would that solve my problem?

By the way... I have a second wire with pin 4 giving error also!

Networker1 - Rent-a-PCTech.Com
WebManager - WebLatino.Net
Servicing Puerto Rico & The Caribbean

Check the wiring at each end. Your pairs are pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5, and 7&8. 10-Base-T uses 1&2 and 3&6, so if you really have to, change the good pairs at both ends to get those pins good. Don't split pairs, that is don't use conductors from two different pairs to make up the combinations mentioned above.

It would still be better to re-run the cable if it is indeed ut.

did you try chceking it with a continuity tester to confirm the pairs where cut ?

I would un-terminate them twist one side together and check the other side with a meter or light to be sure it wasnt the jack , patch panel or tester.

If you find that one of the pairs are cut, run another wire instead of swapping the pairs. You can run into a real wiring nightmare if you ever have to go back to that jack again. Also, I beleive the twist are differant on say the brown pairs vs the green. The point being. Keep everything the same and thats what you can look forward to if you ever have to come back to it. That is what the standards are about.

Mikey

Re-run the cable and charge it to the people who damaged the cable. Any other "quick fix" will likely cause grief and end up costing much more in the long run.

Thanks to all... I see I [probably] took the right action.

Here's what I did... At the wall mount, I took the wire for pin 6 out and exchanged it for the wire for pin 5. Then went to the patch panel and simply matched [exchanged] the switch (same [color] wires). It's working fine. And yes, I would've rather run the cable again but I don't think It would have been good for client keeping/job security. If you know what I mean. Although I think it wasn't a good remodeling job!!!!! :-/

Networker1 - A+ CCNA

But now you have a split pair on 3&6 and 4&5. You're going to start seeing errors

What about if I use 1&2, 4&5, or 1&2, 7&8??

Networker1 - A+ CCNA

Why the heck don't you just do it right? I fail to understand why it is such an advantage to cheat the system and make a half assed installation.

Yes...if you use a 'pair' instead of splitting the pair, you should be in pretty good shape. I would do that in a pinch to get the drop working, but you can bet I would replace it that evening and not have it be a problem.

Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Yeah, but what if the cable in question is pre-wired, and he's going to have to remove drywall, and other elements etc?

Might not be cost effective... but if it's an easily replacable cable, by all means.

Which is EXACTLY what I would have to do.... Remove pretty much the whole remodeling job:-/:-/:-/

At any rate, I warned her [the owner] of the potencial problems. Once it starts acting up, I would have proof of malfunction and then it would be "necessary" to throw the cable. She'll have to apove with no choice.

Until then...

Networker1 - A+ CCNA

If the cable's not kinked up anywhere in the path, then you can just attach the new cable to the old cable and pull it through. Old cables make great pull strings.

I would definitely explain to the customer what happened and let them assess the situation. They may want you to re-run it. Besides, if the remodelers are the ones that damaged the cable, it's not your fault the cable is bad. I'd explain it to the customer and give them the options. If they want to do just do a quick fix, document it. At least it's their decision to have a half-assed cable in the wall and not yours. Never leave yourself or your company open for future problems. It's the customer's office. Your primary interest should be taking care of that customer. Project a quality service image with honesty and integrity, and you'll keep your customers.

Bierhunter,

It is a code requirement that if a cable is not in a conduit, that it must be fastened along its path, not just laying there. My guess is it has a few romex nails on it, or staples to keep it in place.

Ah...my bad. I wasn't aware of that code. That would make things difficult.

We don't have a requirement like that. But most places here have cable runs mounted to lay the cables in. Not all of course. For those that don't, we suspend the cable with heavy duty tie wraps, but not tighten them. The cable can then be slid back and forth for maintenance, but still kept neat and out of the way.

On the other hand, if I was the customer, and I could prove the remodelers damaged my cable, I'd make them pay to have it redone.

I would too.

It all depends on if it's a raised cieling too. If it's a hard lid cieling, then you're even more screwed.

its been my experiance that when you do a half-ass repair evan though you explain everthing to the customer when it goes bad again they think "hey I just paid that guy and now it dosn't work"

I would at the least send the customer a letter suggesting that the cable be replaced along with a quote that way you are down in writing detailing that it is a temp repair and they may have problems down the line unless it is done correctly

Anyone ever run a certification tester on the runs they install anymore?

If you ran one on this run right now, you would know EXACTLY where the problem is...at least run TDR on ALL installed cables.

By running at a MINIMUM a TDR on every cable, you can document length, then when you have problems like this, you run another TDR and compare, the diference is where your problem is... Much quicker than all this speculation and as an added bonus, you get to look like a professional installer/technician to your clint.

Skip... I wish I could hire a a dozen guys with your attitude....nice to hear someone cares about doing it right, as opposed to just getting a check.

Well, I have exceeded my $0.02 worth....

Thanks to all... I see I [probably] took the right action.

I took the wire for pin 6 out and exchanged it for the wire for pin 5. Then went to the patch panel and simply matched [exchanged] the switch (same [color] wires).

Networker1 - A+ CCNA

Anyone else frightened about the fact that this guy is A+ and CCNA certified?

I'm not really frightened per se, but I'm often curious what one has to learn to get the various certifications. I would think anyone with a certification involving something on the physical layer should have a pretty decent understanding of wire connectivity.

The certifications, almost any of them, simply show that you can learn information and spit it out. Once. So many of the certifications do not require you to apply the knowledge, nor do they really prove your capabilities.

When I hire technicians, I honestly put very little weight in those computer certifications. I can tell in a half a day of working with someone if they have a decent grasp of the tasks and most importantly, if they have the mental aptitude for troubleshooting. Troubleshooting requires logic, and while many folks can install and connect, chasing down the trouble calls in a logical manner is on another level.

We're all still learning, there is always hope.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Believe it has become almost common practise (heard from a number of cable installer friends) amongst some of the smaller cabling teams to install and cable test later (never understood what later mean't). Thankfully I have only had experience of the larger good quality installers who certify their work.

Don't know what it's like elsewhere in the world, but I have become quite disillusioned with certification in the UK. Have had the unfortunate experience of supervising a number of engineers with certifications who have clearly no idea of how things run in the real world.

A number of courses sprang up during the IT boom which guaranteed a pass (costly 2 week course and you would have A+ and CCNA). How do you guarantee a pass? simple, you teach people the answers, this is plainly different to teaching the subject.

Hate to have a rant but have never understood when people see letters after a name and take it for granted that they know what their doing. Sorry, old age appears to have made me a bit sceptical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back