Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable tester gives error on pin 6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 9, 2001
PR
If I get an error on pin 6 (the cable is probably cut somewhere, due, I think, to a remodeling job done on the office. And I would not dare break anything up)... Can I take, say, wire 3, 5, 7 or 8 and replace 6? Making the change also on the patch panel?

Would that solve my problem?

By the way... I have a second wire with pin 4 giving error also!

Networker1 - Rent-a-PCTech.Com
WebManager - WebLatino.Net
Servicing Puerto Rico & The Caribbean

Here here.... I wholeheartedly agree with Daron and MasterofNone. I say that as someone who has more initials after his name than most Doctors and has trained hundreds of installers... LOL

I have trained MANY installers, many of which came to my Technician classes which requires 5 years experience to attend. I can tell you some of the things I have heard from just some of these people always made me wonder.

As a Certified Trainer I felt it my obligation and duty to really tech them the why's and wherefores, not just throw information at them.

Unfortunately many of the certifications people tout are strictly "entry level¡¨ but hey, it at least demonstrate they are interested...I hope.

It always amazed me how many people coming to my classes had NEVER read any of the EIA/TIA Standards. Every installation company should have a copy of the current standards and REQUIRE all their installers to actually read the ones that pertain to the type of work they do. At a bare minimum the EIA/TIA 568-B.1.

Well, I have exceeded my $0.02 worth....
Richard S. Anderson, RCDD, A+, Network+, HTI+¡Kblah blah blah¡K ƒº

just like any training book learin only goes so far the rest is up to the installer

knowing the correct practices and applying them are two diffrent animals

Since I'm a one man band as it were when I do a install I know Ill be the one hearing about it and answering the customer and ultimatley reapairing it if it goes bad. the last thing I want on my VM is a warranty call as we all know a warranty works best on both sides if its never needed

the roof over my head and the food on my table are literly on the line with every install I do and since I like to eat I do every job the way I would want someone to do it for me if I were paying the bill.

the downside is I have customers who I dont hear from somtimes for years becouse I set them up right to start with and unless they have a MAC they have no need for me

skip555

You may not hear from your customers very often, but I bet if asked they would rate your services highly.

There are some shortsighted people who believe getting in and out quickly is the way to go. What is the point if you then have to keep returning to correct something which you could have done correctly in the first place.

From an install engineers view it might make sense to cut corners (especially if he could sod off early for the day), but ultimately his company will suffer, and so will he. Unfortunately, during the boom years there was more positions than personnel and ultimately the quality of staff deteriorated.

I personally believe the goal should be to under commit, and over deliver. We often get backed into a corner on delivery or installation, and it is SOOO much nicer to say we'll have it done by Friday, and wrap it up Wednesday to their amazement. I honestly think the customer appreciates a realistic and achievable timeline, and is pleased if you can come in before schedule and under budget. Nothing hurts more than "sorry, we're not quite done, we hope to be done tomorrow" two or three times.

I never really believed in my coworkers idea that "anything worth doing by the hour is worth doing twice". I am sure I could generate more billable hours if I wanted to, but what I really want is long term, happy, repeat business customers. It is nice when they just call and say "please come do this" instead of "we have 4 bids, how much will you do it for?"

It is not a downside to not hear from the customer for a bit, it is something to be proud of indeed. If their solution is engineered correctly, installed professionally and they are educated on its use, you should have built a solid customer relationship.

Of course, large scale bid jobs are a tad bit different. At that point, you want to have a happy contractor as well and are often quite removed from the actual customer. When that occurs, what we shoot for is first to be the 'go to' guy for the contractor. If he has any question or concern, he can go to us and we'll take care of it. Also the key here is NOT being a pain in the contractors butt. If every call he makes to you is met with "well, that isn't precisely in the spec that way, you'll have to submit a change order, etc." then he's not going to be happy. It is work doing what was specified and bid while still catching those little things that crop up. Anyway my point is be helpfull, help the contractor get his job done, and he'll be ready to work with you again.

Second on those type of jobs is to work into a position where you are talking to the customer as well. Often we get bid jobs where we don't even know the customer, but you can bet as we start the installation I am in there making friends and asking if they are getting what they want. Sometimes a simple bit of intervention can help the customer feel like you ARE concerned about getting them a solution instead of just 'doing what was bid'.

As for initials after the name, yeah I got a few too. One thing that made me look at the RCDD was the fact that they don't publish the test question pool, each test is generated randomly, and the failure rate was somewhere around 70%. All that, to me, means you do have to work a bit through two binders of standards information to make sure you are on task. Of course, having the current standards, reading the trade journals, and actually doing the work is what really compliments the former learning.

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back