Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Modem with a Cisco Router

Status
Not open for further replies.

hawkinstlh

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2009
We've got a site that has a T1 to our MPLS network and their web traffic travels across the MPLS to the datacenter and then out to the Internet. Rather than pay for more bandwidth on their circuit, they have purchased cable Internet through their local provider. I have configured FastEthernet 0/1 with the static ip from the cable provider and I am able to route all traffic over the cable using the following configuration:

interface FastEthernet0/1
description Cable Internet
ip address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 255.255.255.252
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
duplex auto
speed auto
!
access-list 101 permit ip any any
!
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (next-hop router from cable)
!
ip nat inside source list 101 interface fastEthernet 0/1 overload
!

With that config in place, all traffic (other than bgp defined) is routed out the cable modem. This is great, except I want my smtp traffic from the Exchange server to still traverse the MPLS for Internet because I can't send email out the blacklisted cable modem ip address.

My question: Is there a way to either route only across the cable and route all other over MPLS or is there a way to segregate a single host (Exchange server) for routing over MPLS and send all others over cable modem?

I have tried using route-maps and access lists but my router still sends all traffic over the cable modem.

I hope I have explained this fully. Please let me know if you need any more config.

Thanks.

Travis

can you post your route-map and ACL's that you used?? you're going to need to use policy-based routing so you're on the right track, it's just a matter of making sure that it is configured correctly.

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

I've tried using an acl as follows:

access-list 101 permit tcp any any eq www

I've tried several items with the route-maps including the following:

route-map http permit 10
match ip address 101
set ip next-hop xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (cable modem default gateway)

also tried set interface FastEthernet 0/1 in the route-map

Does that help?

It seems to me that the issue is that once I issue the default route command with the next hop being the cable default gateway that any hosts trying to route to the Internet use that, regardless of other route-maps in place.

Thanks for your help!

Travis

did you apply the route-map to the LAN interface of the router??

I hate all Uppercase... I don't want my groups to seem angry at me all the time! =)
- ColdFlame (vbscript forum)

No, I haven't applied the route-map to the LAN interface (FastEthernet 0/0). Are you suggesting I do that or just inquiring?

Thanks.

Travis

I applied the route-map the the lan interface and it's working, thanks!

Travis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back