Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Cable Dialer

Status
Not open for further replies.

exodus300

Programmer
Mar 22, 2002
AU
I've been trying to set up a switch and router to share our Telstra Bigpond cable internet connection. I have just managed to get the net working on 2 computers by using the Bigpond Advance software which connects the computer to the internet. But I was under the impression that using a router required no software on the computers as connecting is handled by the router.

The router configuration does have a Service Type setting, with the options Standard, RR-Toshiba, RR-Manager and Bigpond/Telstra. I have this set to Bigpond/Telstra (obviously).

How can I get the router to handle connecting, so I don't have to run the software on each computer?

The router is a Netgear RT-311.

[Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[pc3]

Update:

I am trying to connect three computers. Two of them have Windows ME and the third has Win98 SE. I just plugged in the 98 box and it worked instantly, without running the Bigpond software. This is what I want on the ME machines.

Any ideas?

[Thanks in advance|Hope I helped you]
Exodus300
[pc3]

OK, I just set the two ME computers to use manual settings (ie not DHCP), the same as I've tried before without success, and now they work fine without the program running. Weird, I couldnt get it to work before on exactly the same settings.

Code:
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . : XXXXXXX
	DNS Servers . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
	Node Type . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
	NetBIOS Scope ID. . . . . . : 
	IP Routing Enabled. . . . . : No
	WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . : No
	NetBIOS Resolution Uses DNS : Yes

Ethernet adapter :

Description . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8029(AS) Ethernet Adapt
	Physical Address. . . . . . : 00-C0-26-E0-2E-CA