Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wireless only works after cable plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanielUK

IS-IT--Management
Jul 22, 2003
GB
My partner works for a school and recently got a new school laptop. Her old school laptops have worked fine with her router at home but this one, although it:

-sees the wireless connection with excellent signal strength
-gets an ip address
-will ping external ips/domains

IE8 won't connect to any website saying the "page cannot be displayed". Once the cable to the router is plugged in, however, IE8 browses fine. She can then disconnect the cable and carry on browsing wirelessly! This is with the same IPCONFIG information i.e. nothing has changed apart from simply plugging the cable in and then disconnecting that cable.

Her laptop works fine on other people's home wireless. I have a couple of Win XP laptops I use on her connection that don't suffer from this either so I don't think the router has just started to play up.

Any ideas what this might be? The school IT are a bit perplexed and are saying it's something to do with IE8, although no specifics.

Thanks

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back