Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bulk Importing user with xls 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The easiest way to get started is to Export one user so you can see the type of information needed. Not all fields are required, especially if you build Station Templates and User Profiles.

For an absolutely basic SIP user you'll need the following:

BASIC Tab
Required fields
[ul]
[li]First Name[/li]
[li]Last Name[/li]
[li]Login Name[/li]
[li]Communication Password[/li]
[/ul]
Recommended fields
[ul]
[li]Password - The Import will assign a password if blank and will show an error. Assigning the password avoids the errors during the Import process.[/li]
[li]Language Preference[/li]
[li]Time Zone[/li]
[/ul]

PROFILE Tab
Required fields
[ul]
[li]Login Name[/li]
[li]Name[/li]
[li]Is Default[/li]
[/ul]

HANDLE Tab
Required fields
[ul]
[li]Login Name[/li]
[li]Handle[/li]
[li]Type[/li]
[li]Sub Type[/li]
[li]Domain[/li]
[/ul]

SESSION MANAGER Tab
Required fields
[ul]
[li]Login Name[/li]
[li]Type[/li]
[li]Primary Session Manager[/li]
[li]Secondary Session Manager (If it exists)[/li]
[li]Termination Application Sequence[/li]
[li]Origination Application Sequence[/li]
[li]Home Location[/li]
[li]Max. Simultaneous Devices[/li]
[li]Block New Registration When Max Active[/li]
[li]Enable Disable Call Log[/li]
[/ul]

CM Endpoint Profile Tab
Required Fields
[ul]
[li]Login Name[/li]
[li]Type[/li]
[li]System[/li]
[li]Use Existing Endpoints[/li]
[li]Extension[/li]
[li]Security Code[/li]
[li]Delete on Unassign[/li]
[/ul]
Recommended fields
[ul]
[li]Template - You can assign all the station fields via the Endpoint Template[/li]
[li]Set Type - ONLY needed if you are not using a Template (or changing the Set Type from what is set in the Template. I recommend separate templates.)[/li]
[/ul]

I hope this helps get you started.

Wow, That worked for the user!! I can't thank you enough, that's a start.

The only other piece is to figure out how to add the endpoint to the user now. Having trouble finding how to add the communication address, session manager profile, and CM Endpoint Profile now. I never thought this would be so hard lol.

Yes, The Import is more of an art than a science.

To associate the Endpoint with the user, the Login Name needs to be the same across all tabs for the same user. But that "Login Name" field is different for different tabs!

For example:
User "John Smith" has a login "jsmith@company.com". Alternatively, some companies like to use the extension in the login. If you already know John's extension you can use it "1234@company.com". The important part is that this must be in an email address form user@domain. I like to use their "real" email address since that is already a unique way to identify a user and provided another way to find the user in SysMgr if you accidently spell a name incorrectly (or swap first and last name - I've never done that!).

On the Profile Tab, you set the columns like this:
Code:
Login Name        Name     Is Default
1234@company.com  Primary  true

But on the following tabs the Login Name must be the combined Login Name and Profile name: 1234@company.com#Primary

Handle Tab
Code:
Login Name                 Handle    Type     Sub Type    Domain
1234@company.com#Primary   1234      sip      username    company.com

As each line on the following tabs references a unique user (1234@company.com#Primary) that information will be built and associated with the user.

Double check the Import to see if there were any errors. SysMgr should at least give you a hint as to why the import failed for the Endpoint. Each Tab must be filled out completely without errors for the Import to work. The CM Endpoint won't work unless the Session Manager Profile Tab is correct. The Session Manager Profile will fail if there isn't an associated Endpoint so you get this kind of circular logic of failure...

That's why I suggest building one user manually to make sure everything is correct then Exporting so you can see how the Tabs in the workbook correlate to the User and Endpoint information.

If you keep working at it I'm sure you'll get it. I had a lot of trial and error before I figured out how to make it work. I still have to go back and find mistakes every so often - mostly where a first or last name has an invalid character, such as a "#" or is blank.

ZeroZeroOne, Thank you so much for your help, and time and attention to a newbie like myself. It worked finally!

I'm going to attach the working example xlsx template, so that someone else like me can see what needs to be done. The password will depend on the environment standards.

Thanks so much again.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=732381c7-ba31-4361-a4a8-6ca9af5aeb9c&file=exampletemplateworks.xlsx
Oh, and to combine the @company.org#Primary segment with the extension number, you will need to use Excel, =G1&""&F1 (that formula will combine the extension with the number) then you can paste it straight down. I'm super surprise that Avaya does not have a VBS script that can bulk create numbers. They need to go back and hack at this a little more, to make it a smoother process so people can save time. Remember to use notepad to "purify" the excel numbers, as RTF formatting is retained. It's such a pain. lol.

You can also use concatenate =CONCAT(a11,"#",B11) in column D of the Profile Set tab to create the user#Profile to copy-paste into other tabs. Just remember to delete the column when you're done.

Extra Credit: You can create multiple profiles for one user by adding a new Profile Set:

Code:
Login Name        Name         Is Default*
zero@zero.one     Primary      true
zero@zero.one     AgentID      false

Use the Login Name zero@zero.one#Primary on the CM Endpoint Profile tab to assign the Station.
Use the Login Name zero@zero.one#Agent ID on the CM Agent Profile Tab to assign the Agent ID.

Why? Because a Profile can only have one Endpoint. When you create a User manually you typically create the CM Endpoint as a Station but you could select Agent from that dropdown. If you need both a Station and an Agent ID then you can use a second Profile.

This way when you delete the user zero@zero.one both the Agent ID and the Endpoint are removed. I also build profiles for a user's conference phone (for the big-wigs that get one). This keeps all the User's various endpoints under their one User Account instead of multiple Users for the same person.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back