Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Building XP on VMware

Status
Not open for further replies.

buckethead34

IS-IT--Management
Jan 9, 2008
US
I'm trying to build an XP machine on VMware, but when I try to install it, it says that there is no disk. I've tried hitting F6 for SCSI, but still no go. Any ideas?

Can you point me in the direction on how to install these?

I'm assuming your suing either VMWare Workstation or VMWare Server, but this should work for either.

The FLP file is basically a floppy image. When setting up your VM at the start, point your virtual floppy drive at this image. Then when you try to boot and press F6, it should grab the SCSi details from that.

------------------------------------------------------
Matt
Life is all shadows and dust.
Live it up with women and wine while you can

I did what you said and it detects the SCSI driver, but then it does the same thing after i choose the VMware SCSI. Same thing meaning that it doesn't detect the disk.

To further explain, I choose the VMWare SCSI controller driver and then it goes back to the screen where you can press S to specify additional SCSI adapters, or press enter if you don't have support disks. I hit enter and it throws up the screen that it doesn't detect the disk. Thanks for your help on this.

Why not just load it on IDE instead of SCSI? Ive installed dozens this way, never had any problems. Never even occured to me to try to load it on a SCSI drive.

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

Are you saying you refuse to use IDE or its not an option you can select when you setup the virtural machine?

RoadKi11

"This apparent fear reaction is typical, rather than try to solve technical problems technically, policy solutions are often chosen." - Fred Cohen

I'm saying it is not an option, only scsi drives are installed.

Got a feeling we arent communicating clearing. When you click on file new virtual machine and do a custom config near the end of the wizard you dont get the option to select IDE or SCSI? i get that option on both vmware client and vmware server. what vmware product are you using? also it doesnt matter if you have physical IDE drives or not, wmware will run virtual IDE on physical SCSI drives. Maybe you are not chosing custom config when you did the setup of the VM. even so you should be able to go into the properties of the vm and delete the SCSI drive then add an IDE drive.

RoadKi11

I just went through and recreated the virtual machine and when I get to the I/O adapters it gives me IDE -> ATAPI or SCSI -> BusLogic/LSI Logic but only radio buttons are on the SCSI options.

right, keep going, a couple dialog boxes later you can select IDE then set the drive size after that.

RoadKi11

All I see is SCSI in the drop down menu, on the Advanced Options dialog box. I've looked everywhere, there's no option for IDE.

I used VMWare Server for this illustration. Here are pics of the exact process i used, they start at File -> New -> Virtual Machine. you can clearly see in the 2nd pic from the end that you can select IDE. I still believe you are not doing a custom setup 2nd pic from the beginning.

vmware01.jpg

vmware02.jpg

vmware03.jpg

vmware04.jpg

vmware05.jpg

vmware06.jpg

vmware07.jpg

vmware08.jpg

vmware09.jpg

vmware10.jpg

vmware11.jpg

vmware12.jpg

vmware13.jpg

RoadKi11

Maybe I am confused, this wizard doesn't look like mine. I use VMware Virtual Infrastructure Client 2.0, the other thing is is that i'm fairly new to VMware, we have ESX servers. Does this help any?

well that would have been a great piece of info in your first post, or you could have stated that when i asked you what version of vmware you are using. im just wasting my time, a simple google search could have told you this:

"VMware ESX does not support virtual machine disk files that are IDE. You may only use SCSI disk files with ESX."

good luck!

RoadKi11

buckethead - turn your XP vm off, and go into the settings. Change the SCSi controller for that virtual machine to LSI. Now restart with the floppy image for the LSI drivers in place. Load XP as normal, and hit F6 to load the drivers.

Matt

Appears that all of my settings are correct, LSI and I've pointed my floppy drive to the floppy image on our VMware. It lets me select to load the VMware SCSI Controller driver but then still doesn't detect the disk after it.

As for you Roadki11, you suggested IDE, I said nothing of it. Why would I google search something you suggested.

then i have no idea what you are doing, buckethead, as that is the way to load XP on an ESX Server - I've done it several times.

As for Roadki11's comment, what he meant was he asked you which VMWare product you were using. Had you responded with an answer then, that would have helped immensely.

Why are you trying to create an XP machine on ESX anyway? ESX is really meant for doing servers, rather than XP. If its just to test something, then you might be better downloading VMWare Server, which is free and runs on your local machine.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back