Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bring data from SQL Server into Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert693

Programmer
Jun 20, 2001
US
Is there any way to bring data from an SQL server based application into an Excel spreadsheet?

Yes! There are a few ways.

DTS is one popular (and easy) way. You can set up a DTS package to import the spreadsheet, and then you can run that one time, repeatedly, or even on a scheduled basis as a job.

You can also use an Excel link in a Select statement. In fact, there is an on-going thread today about exactly that, so maybe you'd like to read it: thread183-267681

Because you can use a Select, that also means you can do an Insert Into, with the Select statement as the source.

Is there any specifics about what type of SQL application you could give? SQL Server version? Office version

Generic Answer for SQL 2000 & Excel 2000:
Excel does allow for SQL connections,
go Data->Get External Data-> New Database Query

1.Select <New Data Source>
2.Give it a name
3.Select the SQL Server driver from the drop down list.

Basically the wizard will walk you through everything you need to do to connect to a database in SQL server.

-dcrussel

....from an SQL server based application.

Sorry, in my earlier post I missed the point that you were doing this from an application. I don't think my comment was any help at all, so please ignore.

I was thinking another Excel thread at the time, different from yours. My apologies.

bperry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back