Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brick level job crashes after 6 mailboxes copied

Status
Not open for further replies.

juankarkaos

IS-IT--Management
Jan 21, 2004
ES
Environment:
windows 2000 sp4 and updated.
MS Exchange Server 2000 updated
Arcserve v11 (the same error occurs usin v 9, update an patch 4a)
Exchange Agent for ArcServe

we program a brick level backup of all mailboxes of my company, but only 6 or 7 are copied, then job crashes and there are no error on the Activity log. When I check windows system event log I can see that event:
eventid: 7031 source: System Control manager
the service CA BrightStor Backup Agent RPC Server unexpected finished.
-----------------------------------------------------------
Also I can see a file called tskept06.txt, that says that one dll has done an exception, this is the exact message:
Exception Time : Mon May 03 12:19:54 2004
Exception Cause: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION
Exception Flags: Noncontinuable exception
Exception Address: 77fcca36h
DLL/Exe that caused GP: C:\WINNT\system32\msafd.dll
------------------------------------------------------------
Finally I can show you that my activity log when finish show us hat message.

Information 03/05/2004 12:19:58 [JOBQUEUE]: Status changed from Active to Hold [Job No: 3] [Description: copia de proves 11 busties a les 12:10]

For another hand I put arcserve on Debug mode and the last correct line of the tdbaxchg2.M05.D03.H12.PID7888.trc file shows that:
<12:19:42 :TID[1080]>: HrCfgPackData() successful, cbConfigData=5302
<12:19:42 :TID[Y²
rÈ×@­)¬ó6Ê­šÕ¥lBÿ/҆ځôøëîàXcT­ìmï²å…'›‡óʽ|

Please can anybody help me? I have reinstalled arcserve 2 times and nothing!!
Thanks.

What are the chances it might be having a problem with a specific message in that mailbox.

Thanks DavidMichel,

I have tested different backups, first using 11 mailboxes, and the job crashed. After that I tested another differents 10 mailboxes and the job also crashed.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

Do a system search for msafd.dll.
Perhaps there is an old version getting loaded in memory leading to the problem.

I've seen this problem 3 times now and it seems there are two ways of dealing with it/working around it (CA support were a waste of time!). Either do multiple backups of no more than 6 brick level mailboxes (wasn't too bad for 2 of our sites as they were SBS 2000 so not many users) or reinstall arcserve completely having removed every ounce of it from the registry and everywhere else. We initially left them at SP3 rather than going to sp4, but have since moved them onto SP5 and ok.
(Oh there is another way, remove arcserve completely and install veritas instead! Personally I feel that is the best resolution! ;))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back