Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Brand New IPO, Solid Red Lights on Cards 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

94astro

Programmer
Jul 21, 2013
US
Hello Pro's,

I got an IP Office shipped to my shop yesterday from our distributor, I put in the SD card, installed the cards and all the card's lights stayed solid red. I re-booted, re-seated cards and nothing. I couldn't connect to the system with manager. I called tech support and they determined the IP Office was bad. I got the replacement today and the same exact thing is happening. Do I need to re-format the SD card? I haven't had to do this on my previous installs. Thanks in advance.

You need to pull it out, it's much quicker to recreate than upgrade, less than half the time :)

I've all but given up firing up a new system without recreating the SD card first. Almost always have to upgrade the system anyways, may as well save the time of doing the upgrade as amriddle pointed out.

With every V2 I've ever built I've formatted and recreated onto the version i want before putting the card in the unit. Thought that was normal.

APSS/ACIS/ACSS-SME
not arrogant, just succinct.

I've reformatted ever since the problematic SD's back at R6.1, its the way I start every install.

Sounds like I'll be reformatting before all installs from now on Thanks guys..

how exactly do you reformat and recreate the sd card in ipo?

amriddle01 said:
Re-creating the card is also the fastest and best way to upgrade the system. It runs for 2 hrs without it, re-creating retains all prompts, greetings and messages etc, it's far quicker than a standard upgrade and can be timed to happen in your absence/out of hours (it doesn't upgrade until rebooted), so that Instructor gave some bad advice smile

Not to thread hijack, but to confirm the:

The IP Office can be left running and the SD card removed (is there any shutdown command)?

SD card recreated (without formatting first) with IP Office manager?

Then put card back in and restart the system via IP Office Manager?

System will come back up with newest firmware? Are the trunk card firmwares also upgraded?

This will come in very handy next week for an upgrade, have waited hours for file system uploads before over the network.

@everyone: "In my training class, the instructor said you should never have to re-create the SD."

The Avaya installation manual strongly recommends that its the very first thing (after installing Manager) that you do. It's the best way you know and control what release of software is on that card and for a new install it saves a host of pain and time if you start with the intended software release from day 1.

@g18c - Yes to all of that.

Manager can do the card shutdown. Internal cards (except UCM) and external expansion modules upgrade themselves using the new files on the card during the reboot. If you have physically in the building with a system then recreating the SD card usually the best way to upgrade.

Stuck in a never ending cycle of file copying.

sizbut (TechnicalUser) 21 Feb 14 3:16
@everyone: "In my training class, the instructor said you should never have to re-create the SD."

The Avaya installation manual strongly recommends that its the very first thing (after installing Manager) that you do. It's the best way you know and control what release of software is on that card and for a new install it saves a host of pain and time if you start with the intended software release from day 1.
Sizbut, i think you are right for about almost all the time but this time i disagree.
I never recreate the SD to upgrade a system.
Why? because we mostly do this outside office hours and this means from our office or even from home.
Yes recreating is quicker but driving to the customer will take more time :)

Before the SD card there was not even a recreate option (it was not possible ofcourse) and i think it is just another option but not "the" way to do it.

For a new system a recreate should be done because it is quicker and you have the SD card in front of you so why not.

BAZINGA!

I'm not insane, my mother had me tested!

For the upgrade I did say " If you have physically in the building with a system..." and in my gibberish way I did mean "If you are physically in the building with the system..." :) more coffee needed

I did not read that well i guess.
If you are in the building then yes it is an option :)
You probably know those situations where you cannot even get your hand that far back to reach the SD card? :)
I once removed an SD card and put it back in the wrong slot so i had to do it again.
Well this can be an endless discussion and i think everybody has his/her own way of doing things.
I learn to be very lazy (intrigrant learn me that very well) so this means that only my arm moves the mouse and do the upgrade from my laptop while i order some coffee at the coffee lady :)

BAZINGA!

I meant I need more coffee... is is that less since my hands seem to be shaking now.

I need more coffee too :)

BAZINGA!

Which tech support were you referring to on one of your earlier posts? I can't seem to find any "post sale" tech support other than this forum and youtube. We have been struggling with some basic things on our first install, and we have another install for a real client in 2 weeks. Would be nice to have a fallback support # to call.

Our distributor and tech support is Scansource Catalyst.

Our disti is Westcon and they seem like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.

Just ask here, Scansource and Westcon get their answers from here most of the time anyway... and then pass it on to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back