Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot Problem 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mar74

IS-IT--Management
Aug 12, 2003
US

On reboot, one of Solaris 8 servers hangs after "hostname": bad value. Also, I see the following:

configuring IPv4 interfaces: ifconfig: "hostname": bad address eri0

No changes have been made to /etc/hosts or /etc/hostname.eri0

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Try booting from cdrom: boot cdrom -s

After booting from the cdrom fsck the boot disk's root slice.

Mount the root slice on /mnt and then look at the
/mnt/etc/hostname.xxx entry.

look at your network interface while booted single from the cdrom.

Also make sure that your /etc/nodename contains the name of our system.

CA

You may have already checked this, but are you sure this host uses eri0 rather than the other ethernet cards Sun provides? Just something to check on.

you can run sys-unconfig (read manual first) to have a clean installation, next boot again and answer the questions during boot...

Regards
-- Franz
Sorry I'm not a native spaeker, I'm from Munich, Germany - "Home of the Whopper", oh no, "Home of the Oktoberfest" ;-)
Solaris System Manager; I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

Tuka, I booted to cdrom, mounted the root slice, and found out the /etc/hosts file was empty. The hostname.eri0 was set correctly. So I added the correct entries in the hosts file. The server booted correctly. I'm still not sure how the hosts file got corrupt since this server has been in production for year with no problems.

I appreciate all the great suggestions! Thanks everyone for your help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back