Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Boot problem sunfire 280r

Status
Not open for further replies.

G3user

Technical User
Nov 18, 2002
NL
Last week we had to move the system to another cabinet.
I shutdown the machine with 'shutdown -y -g60 -i5'.
After that finished I removed the power, moved the machine and tried to start it again. Now it won't start up. Don't get a prompt at port A (via modem) also not with local console. Can't login by network, only PING responses.
So I'm not able to get in the machine. Who can help ?

do you see bootmessages on the console?
i guess your host is waiting for a fsck, if ping answers but no remote login is possible; are you sure there is no console login?

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

At the moment I have no console output. Normally there is no console attached, so I try to use my laptop for this.
Maybe the connecting cable is the wrong one, or it is defective. Not solved yet.
Question : I have a modem connected to the system. However when I dial in, there is no info at all on the screen. Is de standard console output not also directed and accessible by modem ?

I think there is no "standard" modem, which can be configured to connect to console and can be used as a modem (2 types of "protocols" one with dialing/routing/etc commands, one with stdin/stdiout man/machine interface)

I suggest to connect ether a terminal or a PC (if you have more than one Sun I suggest to use TerminalConcentrators eg. microANNEX from Bay or sth.like that)

Best Regards, Franz
--
Solaris System Manager from Munich, Germany
I used to work for Sun Microsystems Support (EMEA) for 5 years

G3user
I just use the cable (RJ45) that came with our Pix for the console connection and HyperTerminal with my laptop. I sometimes have problems and have to change the flow control to a different setting. I haven't figured that one out yet. I created a Hype session, saved it, closed the connection and an hour later tried to use it. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.:)) Also, be patient. Depending on your settings, it can take 5 or 10 minutes to see anything on the console.

Problem solved now.
We had a wrong cable. I've made a true null-modem cable and connected my laptop to port A. Then I've got the OK prompt.
After booting the system asked for a fsck command.
Thereafter the system smoothly got to runlevel 3.

Thanks everybody for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back