Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Block specific incoming numbers? 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalapeno

MIS
Nov 12, 2001
US
Is there a way to block specific phone numbers on a G3si? I got a couple jokers out there that like to call certain people every 2 minutes all day long.

We have one PRI and pretty much all software packages installed.

I already called our PRI vendor and they said they can only block entire area codes.

The only thing that comes to my mind is to change the number(s) in question to VDN's, and give the users new numbers. Then write a vector similar to the following:

[tt]01 wait-time 4 secs hearing ringback
02 goto step 3 if ani = 12345679
OR
02 goto step 3 if ani in table 1
03 disconnect after announcement 9999
04 route-to number XXXX with cov y if unconditionally
[/tt]

Hope this helps.

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

If you know the number(s), you can enter it on your ars form and set it to deny.

hehe, even though I could have alot of fun doing a vdn, I cannot change the user's did.

There is no way to just block a call from a specific number? Like on the Trunk group or something?

thanks for your reply.
Nate

I thought that ARS and AAR were only for outbound dialing patterns, not incoming.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question - Jalapeno, do you want to block calls from specific numbers from coming INTO your system, or do you want to block calls to specific numbers FROM your system?

Susan
Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer. - Mark Twain

OT Question.

where i define that tables?

02 goto step 3 if ani in table 1

I want to block some monkey from making an INCOMING call into our PBX, and annoying my users. In otherwords, INTO my system.

I know how to block outbound 8)

Thanks!
Nate

mbartsch, its a vector routing table - vrt. add vrt next...

SF0751 is on the right track... only don't change the numbers to VDN's, but enter a VDN/vector in the middle of the inbound call and the station. Meaning:

ch sta <ext>
change a coverage path to <cp1>

ch coverage path <cp1>
Point1: v<vdn1>

ch vdn <vdn1>
Vector Number: <vector1>

ch vector <vector1>
enter vector commands

You now have a vector between the inbound call and the station. Add a disconnect step for ANI after an appropriate announcement of notifying the authorities of activity with intent to cause denial of service. :) Any calls not of the ANI specified should reach the user as usual.

Wow, good thinking. I thank everyone but especially CommDude and SF0751 for your replies. 8)

Uh oh, hold on, I don't understand something.

If I set cov for a station to <cp1>

Then set <cp1> point1 to v<vdn1>

Then the call will still ring at the station, if no one answers then it will route to the vdn.

Am I missing something? It would have to be: vdn, station, vmx.

Hmmm... another brilliant theory shot down due to the introduction of an annoying fact.

OK... 2 ideas. One, the user can eyeball the caller id and ignore the ANI in question... the fact that they're being monitored may stop the source within a reasonble amount of time.

Assuming the whole idea is to not disturb the user and assuming a persistent pesky caller, the second idea may be better. Assign an unpublished extension (a non-DID) to the user phone and in the vector, route normal callers to the unpublished extension. All inbound calls should reach the called party except the ANI's being filtered. Set up the original voice mailbox to be shared with the unpublished extension. Caveat: provide for appropriate caller id in outbound calls... perhaps transmitting nothing or general number.

Ok, that one will probably work.

There just really should be a built in blocking feature.

Use Inbound Digit Manipulation (on the Trunk Route Form) and delete the DID digits inbound and replace them with the VDN assigned to that vector. Now, the Vector is in control of the call and no one is aware that calls are being rerouted momentarially.

Hope this helps...

Kris

Oooohhhhh, good one, kristiandg!

Susan

I have block many incoming calls using the station>vdn method as described above and it works really well. I was wondering if there is a way to report on how many times that ANI (the prankster calling) is calling into the system and getting diverted? Thanks in advance for any help.

If you have CMS, you can run historical VDN reports.

Susan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back