Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blinking PWR and HDD LED lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

thedoss

Technical User
Jan 27, 2003
US
I have been working on an e-Machine, Monster 500 comp. for my daughter. It works well except when I power down the machine. Then the pwr and hdd led lights start blinking and if they blink rapidly the cpu and pcu fans spin but not at full speed. If they blink slow the fans just wiggle.
I have reseated the cpu with artic silver that did not help.

If I change the power setting it changes the blink rate and I found that if I set the power settings to always so they do not start for 2 or 3 hrs. after I shut down.

Is this a power supply problem?
Thank you, Doss

Hi there, PSU is a could be, but mostlikely it's just your POWERDOWN setting in the BIOS... Meaning the PC goes into Standby Mode instead of powering down...

In the BIOS go to the POWER DOWN settings, there should be a menu item named POWER BUTTON or something similiar, there you can set it do Soft OFF or 4 Sec Delay... (sorry I am not to familiar with the mobo in use or what type of BIOS it is using)...

Ben

PS - you might also try, in the BIOS Setup, to load the DEFAULT values, and don't forget to save when exiting...

Thanks Ben,
I have tried these things but it still does it. If it was just the blinking lights I would think it was going into stand-by but why are the cpu and upc fans turning?

When I change the power settings (to always on) the lights may not come on for 3 or 4 hrs.

Thanks again, Doss

are you using WinXP? if so go to the control panel, under the Energyoption, click on the second tab (Expanded, I believe, sorry but I'm using a foreign version of XP so translation is a bit off), there is a setting for the power button and what it should do... try that and let us know...

other than that I am to believe that you might have a flaky mobo, and I hope that you still have warranty on it to get it replaced...

Ben

This is an e-Machine with;
MB TriGem Computer NAPOLI 1.0
Bios American Megatrends Inc. 063100 09/29/99
Pentium 111
Operating System 98SE
32 meg ram
150 watt pcu
It is a little old for warranty

I think I will order a new 230 watt pcu and see what it will do. I will let you know.
Doss

Another suggestion, replace the CMOS battery... and at the same time clear the CMOS by leaving the battery out for 30 min or more...

other than that ... a big ?

you should definetly install more than 32 meg of mem for Win98SE (128mb - 256mb is best for Win98SE)

Ben

PS - hope you get it sorted out...

I just remembered where I'd seen this before: the on-off switch was not "releasing". This was an ATX case with a momentary contact switch.

Ben
I have tried all the things with the CMOS, put in a new battery after leacing it out all night and then setting the CMOS to default.
Thanks anyway.

micker377
This is a MicroATX case. If you mean the power switch on the front of the case it seems to work okay. It has the 4 second delay to shut it down and it does just that. Other wise I don't know how to check it out unless I disconnect it and take an ohm reading on it. I will try that.
Thanks, Doss

thedoss - what micker377 said makes sense... try switching it out with the RESET button for testing...

like I said, other than that I am at a loss... keep us posted...

Ben

Ben, This machine does not have a reset button. I took the front of the case off and tried to get an ohm reading through the switch but could not get anything yet it does work okay. The voltage from the ohm meter would light the LED lights one at a time. It has to be getting some kind of a surge to make the CPU and PCU fans turn when the lights blink. That is why I was thinking of the power supply.

Doss

Unplug the on-off switch from the motherboard and check to see if it is working properly - it should show "short" when pressed and no reading at all (use high ohm scale to check for leakage) when released.

micker377,
I checked the on-off switch. Took it clear out of the comp.
and took readings from the pins on the switch board its self. Could not get any readings at all even on the 2000K scale. Yet when I put it back in it works the way it should. I also can hear a cliking sound in time with the blinking lights coming from the lower right hand side (when viewed from the open side) of the comp. I even took out a stethoscope to to see if I could pin point it but could not find exactly where it was coming from. They are delivering the new power supply today 230 watt. The old one is only 150 watt. I will see if that makes any difference. I will let you know.
Thanks to all, Doss

My new power supply came in today. I installed it about 12:30 booted up and shut down. The comp. has been setting with power to it for 6 hrs now and has not blinked yet. I hope this will take care of the problem. I ordered a 230 watt and they sent a 300 watt which was okay by me.

Thanks every one for the help,

Doss

Hi there, glad you got it working...

Ben

PS - do they sell 230w PSU still? I wonder, as that today the minimum is 300W...

Hi Ben,
I ordered this PSU on Price Watch. Through Amamax out of Houston TX. Several co. advertized the 230 watt psu for the microATX case but they shipped a 300 watt so I guess I can not say for sure. I was very impressed with the service I ordered Sunday evening and it was deliverd before noon Wednesday by Federal Express. I left the comp. connected all night and still no blinking so it looks as if the problem is fixed. It has been fun.

Doss

Hey thedoss, greet Texas for me, I used to live in EL PASO and my sis is in Kileen...

but over here in Germany, I just go to my local PC shop and buy it there, less hassle for me (considering shipping and returns etc)...

oh, yeah, it's been fun... one never stops learning, even in OLD AGE, like myself... *G

Ben

Hi Ben,
It is great to be here in Texas for the winter go back to Minnesota for the summer. Will not be able to tell your sister hello as I am in East Texas. I know what you mean about that old age thing I passed 78 the end of Jan. but am still going strong. Keep up the good work we all need some help now and then.

Doss

Hola,

Yeah I know about the warm weather and all... great to hear that some one twice my age is still this interested in PC's and still going strong...

... don't worry about giving aid to others with their probs if I can help I will...

Greets,

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back