Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blinking amber light on 3524

Status
Not open for further replies.

lobo66

IS-IT--Management
Nov 12, 2002
US
Hello all

I am try to trunk a 3524 to my 6513 (Native IOS) here is the setup

fa 0/24
speed 100
duplex full
switchport
switchport access vlan 80
switchport trunk native vlan 80

gig 1/38
no ip address
speed 100
duplex full
switchport
switchport mode trunk

I am using a X-over cable between the switches but the light on port 0/24 keep blinking getting a up, up buit cant get to any deives on that vlan.. any thoughts ..

THX>...

typo on the 3524

fa 0/24
speed 100
duplex full
switchport
switchport mode trunk

Hmm solid amber usually means the port is being blocked by spanning tree which can be confirmed with the 'show spanning-tree int f0/24'
Alternate flashing between green and amber usually means you are getting frame errors on the port which you can verify with 'show int fa0/24'

Does this help?

3524's by default use ISL for trunking. Your 6500 might as well, but probably not since the 3524 has that amber LED. You should enter SWITCHPORT TRUNK ENCAPSULATION DOT1Q on each port. You want to use 802.1q Trunking over ISL.

Also, when creating the Trunk you don't need the SWITCHPORT MODE ACCESS command. There's very few cases where you'd want to use that command on a trunk port. (Main one being for IP phones)

I've had this also, we have on occasion had to configure the vlan on the switch itself, especially if VTP domain isnt configured.

If your VTP domain is configures correctly, set your switch to VTP CLIENT mode:

Switch(config)#vtp mode client

If not, you need to define and configure a VTP domain.

Hope this helps

The only reason some people are still alive, is simply because it's illegal to kill them!! ;0)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back