Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Blasting under a building

Status
Not open for further replies.

TarsierSpectral

IS-IT--Management
Oct 21, 2003
US
Hi,

Do you guys know, if blasting under the building, can have some impact on the computers in the building. We have a server, back up device and about 25 desktops.
DO you know anything about it?

Thanks,
Maggie

well, how big are the blasts, and what sort of explosives are being used?

I don't think there should be any emp from normal or high explosives, so the only concern becomes how much vibration if filtering into the building...

--------------------
Procrastinate Now!

Maggie,

Must PC/servers can put up will a certain amount of shocks,
I lot would depend on how close the blasting is to the server and computers.one thing to keep in mind is that the blasting may interupt the electricity supply, also is the server rack mounted or a tower unit??

If it's a tower it may be worth putting some shock padding underneath the unit.

Finally, if the server has a UPS unit make sure it's working OK just in case the power fails.

Hope this Helps

Depends on how hard the shaking ends up being. But would normally expect that the machines will be OK.
Humans going to be in the building while the blasting is being done? If not, then it might be wise to have the machines powered all the way down.

You possibly could get momentary power glitches that would potentially cause problems if the machines were powered up.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Yes, we are still in the builidng while the blasts are occuring. We haven't had any problems with the power failures. What I was mostly worried about was that mayhe the magnetic field that the explosive could be creating could have impact on hard drives and computers in general. What's your though of that? Dou you think it is necessary for me to find out what kind of explosives they are using?

thaks

We are in the building while the blasting occurs.
We had no problems with the power failure as of yet.
What I am concerned about was the magnetic field that could possibly be created by the blasting and it's impact on our equipment (HD). Do you think it is necessary for me to find out what kind of explosives they are using?

Thanks
Maggie

No.

The EMI effects from conventional explosives used in construction are not going to effect your equipment.

By the way, you are easily going to be the winner of my personal "favorite question of the month."

Best,
Bill

By no means.

Interesting, but certainly not dumb.

not dumb by any stretch. Unique.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

I in fact want you as my next office manager. To consider this as a potential problem shows a great deal of practical wisdom and foresight.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Hmmm....Blasting under the building. I think about burning a few Vacation days

Maggieddd;

I don't know who said it first but I'll repeat it:

The only dumb question is the one that doesn't get asked.

Ed

Please let me know if the suggestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes you're the windshield... Sometimes you're the bug.
smallbug.gif

Eguy,

Don't forget the second half;

"And the only dumb answer is the one that's not given"

The particulars have most likely been lost to posterity

Steve

The "EMI" question may arise from the practice of "No radio transmissions within construction range", to prevent premature setting off the explosives. I wonder if the combined "EMI" of all the computers could set off the explosives? Is the construction crew aware of computers running? Could be exciting.........

The only effect of the blasting has been a double-posting by
Maggieddd, other than that all is well.

Seriously, you must be a great mgr!

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

The only effect of the blasting has been a double-posting by
Maggieddd"
That was pretty funny!!! LOL
I would be more worried about the blasting contributing to dust, or stirring up dust and blocking up the circulation of air in the computers and monitors. When the blasts go off does aspestus dust come floating down from the ceilings?
Open up one of the computers and see if it is covered with dust. Dust can also cause shorting circuiting on printed circuit boards in the computer and especially the monitor cuz u have higher voltages there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back