Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

black registration 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

xcooperx

Technical User
May 13, 2006
AU
hey everyone, just wondering whats the difference with "black" and "black registration" in the swatched pallette. on screen "black" looks like it has a grey tinge to it. where ase "black registrtion" seems perfectly black. whould i use the registered one so it prints out better or is it just an onscreen difference, any help would be greatly appreciated...cooper

Registration black is generally used for printing crop marks etc. The onscreen black is a single black ink used at the printing stage (one of four inks: CMYK). Even though it doesn't look as black, it's still black. But you could consider using a "Rich Black", which is a mix of all four CMYK inks: Set the black (K) to 100%, then the C, M and Y inks to 50% each. This will give you a "black-black", but be warned -- as it uses more ink, it may be more expensive to print.

You could change in the Preferences "Black Appearance", then you can have one color black appear as rich. I, however, keep mine as grey, so i can see the difference onscreen between rich black and one color black.
Mark

Registration is not to be used as a color for content. 100%K is black and will print black.

Never rely on your monitor for true color unless it's fully calibrated using an outboard hardware calibrator, and even then it can be off.

Using OSX 10.3.9 on a G4

thakyou all it is very much appreciated

You can also achieve a nice rich black by backing it with 10% cyan. This works especially well when printing large black areas, such as a mostly-black page with white text. It's also less expensive than running CMYK black and reduces potential registration problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back