Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Black outputs as dark gray?

Status
Not open for further replies.

samjoy

Programmer
Apr 28, 2009
GB
When I export as PDF and cut and paste black objects from indesign into photoshop they appear as dark grey not black same as pasting from illustrator, I have ticked cmyk when importing to ps but still shows as black, both colour spaces are the same but even so pdfs are showing grey as well outside of photoshop. us web coated swop2 is selected as the colour space for cmyk in indesign, why is it not exporting black

...also...

"Why use cut and paste and not place file?...if Im working on a shape for indesign in illustrator its quicker to cut and paste into ID than file-save, file-place,find file, if I need Illy to edit it further, cut-paste, not file-save, file-place,find file."

...you will find that a problem in some cases and more trouble than is worth in some situations, in fact your experiencing difficulties right now...

...file > place native .ai is the recommended workflow, later editing of importing images "on the fly" is a simple case of (directly on an imported graphic):

alt/option + double click

...this opens the creator application for edits, (command/control + s to save) and the graphic updates "on the fly"...

andrew

...you will find, in the long run, file > place, and edit "on the fly" quicker than copy and pasting all the time...

...it could quickly become a bad habit to be copying and pasting...

andrew

...of course, speed is one thing, accuracy is another, so working in haste can screw you over, quick isn't always best...

andrew

...copying and pasting is all well and good, i'm not completely discounting it, but it can open you up to more headaches if not careful...

andrew

Thanks again for advice people, I have had to send some artwork which had a background gradient fading black to green, black when selected in the gradient pallet is C75 M68 Y68 K90, if I switched this for black as C0 M0 Y0 K100 the gradient doesnt have a smooth blend black to green but a gray appears as black fades to green so I went back to the original C75 M68 Y68 K90 and will just have to hope it prints ok, cutting and pasting to PS looks ok so Im hoping it will print as I see it, because I have printed alot of artwork from PS and all is good Im assuming if this looks ok I can go with it. Going to upgrade versions of adobe soon anyway, thanks again, whenever I use pure black to print in CMYK values should be C0 M0 Y0 K100 right.
Thanks alot

...the plot thickens...

...gradients/vignettes are different ball game completely to your original post, and many variables can render a gradient pleasant to look at or just damn awful...

...essentially, the less color contamination you have the better it will look, but length of gradient and the output device being used plays a part too...

...if you want to read up further on gradients follow this link:

andrew

...mixing spot colors also takes some forethought...

andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back