Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Big Network Problems!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBodge

Programmer
Oct 18, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I'm in big trouble here, I've just replaced 4 old PC's with brand new Pentium 4's, copied the complete HDD from the old to the new, replaced the network card from old to new, Windows 2000 updated itself with the drivers it wanted and everything seemed to run fine.

Hour later, found that the four I replaced are much much slower over the network when using the Opera accounting software than the old 800Mhz ones!!!! A simple search for a customer on the old PC's is instant but on the new ones takes about 15 seconds.

Any ideas anyone, PLEASE, client is having a fit!!

LeBodge

Lebodge,

You take this thing on the wrong way. We sure want to help you otherwyse we wouldn't have reply at the first time. I'm and all the others are glade to help you, I'm sure.

What I said is that troubleshooting is a long process. the best way to go around it is like I said... is to be organized. Try to evaluate all possibilites. then you try them on one after the other. You are the one in front of the pcs. you are the one who knows all the differences between on pc that works fine and one that is not. which application run. how it's configure... etc. It is much harder for us to solve the problem over a forum like this one. Have you tried taking to one of the technician at your work? it should be his duty to assist you over that problem.

Never the less Tek-tips is there to help everybody. begginners and veterants.

Nic
Systems Administrator

All problems sorted out and everything is running fine.

Cloning 1 HDD to another can be done but you have to be an editing wizard of the registry and many several hundred reboots and more importantly have a mate from Microsoft!!!

Thanks all, job is offically - A GOOD 'UN

Cheers, LeBodge.

"Don't you just LOVE computers????"

Glad to hear, LeBodge! So what ended up being the problem? pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I have no idea, but after an hour on the phone to America, and lots of HKEY, change 6 to 2, HKEY change "1" to "", HKEY change "3" to "", and alot of reboots it all worked, I do however feel Microsoft COULD (if they wanted to) write an app to do this automatically (?)

It works, I'm happy, so I'm now back to Flash MX - each to their own I say!! LeBodge.

"Don't you just LOVE computers????"

Doh! Oh well..i guess i'd take that over not working at all :)
So now it's back to business, eh? You're doin a good job over there, LeBodge. Call MS - they made the durn software :)
Cool - good luck! pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back