Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Big Network Problems!!! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeBodge

Programmer
Oct 18, 2002
GB
Hi All,

I'm in big trouble here, I've just replaced 4 old PC's with brand new Pentium 4's, copied the complete HDD from the old to the new, replaced the network card from old to new, Windows 2000 updated itself with the drivers it wanted and everything seemed to run fine.

Hour later, found that the four I replaced are much much slower over the network when using the Opera accounting software than the old 800Mhz ones!!!! A simple search for a customer on the old PC's is instant but on the new ones takes about 15 seconds.

Any ideas anyone, PLEASE, client is having a fit!!

LeBodge

Thanks all,

I'll go and try that and let you know what happens!!

LeBodge.

I've just been reading back through all these posts and I may have mislead you, I didn't clone one old HDD to 4 new HDD's, I cloned each one separately, old to new 4 times, sort of a "group cloning session" - sorry if I misled.

LeBodge.

Thats okay - no cloned disk went into an identical machine, right?..they were cloned, and all put in different types of PC's. Thats what I got out of it anyway. :) Doesn't matter - thats still not the way to clone a PC. A clone is a clone..hardware must match 100% to use a cloned disk. You'd still run into problems.

I just thought of something. Did you keep the PC network names the same? I would generate new SID's on those PC's by adding them to a workgroup first, then rename the PC's to something unique on the network. Reboot and re-join the PC's to the domain. Or, however it's setup. Basically, change the PC names, and try again. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Please let Tek-Tips members know their posts were helpful.

I havent read all the threads on this , but is it possible that your systems are infected with the sql slammer virus??????

Thats a good point, but I don't think his Opera software uses SQL databases on a server. (or does it?) Reboot the SQL server if thats the case because SQL Slammer resides in memory only. It wont prevent reinfection later on, but it will tell you right away if that was it. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Opera is an accounting package running in Foxpro, it does use its own engines sql but not an SQL server.

Pbxman, all the new pcs took the same names as the old ones but please could you explain a bit more about how to generate new SID's - this is new to me!

LeBodge.

Are you on a domain, or workgroup? pbxman
Systems Administrator

A domain named "perfparts" and please make the instructions easy as this is real new territory

LeBodge.

ok. 1 PC at a time...
Right click "My Computer" on each computer's desktop, choose "properties" then "network identification". Click the "properties" button. select the "Workgroup" field and enter a workgroup name..such as Test. (you can name it whatever you want). Click ok and it will say reboot for ahcnages to take effect. Reboot. Go back in the same place again, but this time at the top of the field it shows your computername. Rename the computer to something unique on the network. We use the format: FirstInitial/LastName/PC, so for John Doe's PC it would look like: JDoePC
Reboot again.
This time go back in, and choose the properties tab and select the Domain option again (which will eliminate your workgroup selection). You will need to enter the domain name and a domain administrator account and password when it asks. Then you should see "Welcome to the PerfParts Domain".

The machine will now have a fresh SID. Go into users and computers if you're on active directory, and delete the old computer names. Give things about 15 min to straighten out, and you should be okay from then on..at least SID-wise. ;)

Thats a step-by-step procedure for renaming a Windows 2000 computer correctly on a domain. Do that to each PC until they all have different names than the one's you cloned. pbxman
Systems Administrator

That sounds easy enough even for me =)

I'll give it a try and obviously let you know!

LeBodge.

Just a quick question when I execute the above instructions it won't mess up or change any of the securities or profiles or anything else will it?

LeBodge.

nope. pbxman
Systems Administrator

I can't try that yet as they don't know the password so they're sorting that out and I can't reinstall Opera as the CD is off site - back tomorrow!

BUT this is very interesting, I've just moved one of the clone HDD into an existing machine (not one of the new ones) and it was slow, changed the network driver to a better one and how everything is working perfectly and the speed of Opera is fantastic!!!!!

LeBodge.

Thats something we mentioned earlier. You said that the 3c905c-TX was the correct driver. Based on you saying that, you should go back to the older posts and update the drivers for the new PC's hardware. I believe windows update has an updated 3Com NIC driver. Maybe it was Intel.? I can't remember. :)
I believe the fix is here in these posts..you just have to find out what it is. If your network speed is fast or normal without using opera, it's probably not the NIC driver. pbxman
Systems Administrator

No updating the 3c905c-TX driver didn't work for the new ones - still slow.

So it has to be something to do with the PC's themselves, sort of if they've already been on the system they work but introduce brand new one and the network slows down.

Can't wait to try the name change instructions tomorrow - it's does feel I'm getting close!! LeBodge.

"Don't you just LOVE computers????"

Well! there is not thousands of posibilities but still there some few. You have to discards options by trials and error to find out which one might cause the conflict.

The SID is one of'em. the NIC drivers is another one. the application registry could easily be another.

make sure you have always the latest drivers for your systems... expecially when you switch HD from one box to another or when you ghost.

one thing you could do next time is to write down all the variables can be involes when switching box. and then try to eliminate them one by one by making sure your setting a proper.

ex:
1-did I check/change the SID?
2-Do I have the latest driver for my NIC?
2b- is it configure properly? having the latest drivers is one thing and have the good setting is another one!
3-are other apps working fine?
4-can I access the server normally?
5-is there a setting in the concern application I would overlook?
6- did I checked the application website trouble shooting webpage? if you encountered that problem there is a strong chance somebody already had it and reported to the compagny.
... etc!

100- contact tek-tips!!!

we will be waiting for you next post.

regards,

Nic
Systems Administrator

Good point, Nic. Tek-Tips should be last on the list after going through normal processes of troubleshooting. Otherwise you won't learn how to diagnose things in the future. It's pretty easy to pop on here and get an answer, but maybe 80% of the time, the members here walk a user through general troubleshooting steps.

(steps up on soapbox)...

Knowing how to troubleshoot is a skill that takes patience and trial and error, but an expert troubleshooter is a hard find in today's world with so much information available so easily. I use Tek-Tips as a LAST resort when all else fails, and I just can't figure out an answer, and have looked and read about all types of possible causes, etc. Knowledgebase at Microsoft, jsiinc.com , etc. You learn a LOT researching on your own, but if people depend on others for answers all the time, you really don't learn anything other than where to go to find the people who really do know. Resources, resources, resources. Tek-Tips is a great resource, but shouldn't replace good 'ole sleuthin' :)

(steps off soapbox)... ;)

Not singling anybody out here..im just saying teknic's last post is right-on, and often overlooked. Basic troubleshooting knowledge goes a LOOONG way in the world of computers.

Good post, teknic. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Sorry, seems I have broken the protocol of Tek-Tips, I myself don't really need to know what caused the problem and I don't really need to learn from it, I'm a database and multimedia developer - all these hardware changes were just a favour for a client. I didn't realise that Tek-Tips was a last resort type option, I just thought it was there, packed with many, many people who KNEW what they were talking about and would help anyone beginner to pro.

Maybe if you could point me to a begineers type forum, I'd feel more at home in the new land of hardware/nics and HDD's? (Although probably would'nt even get involved next time - I'll leave it to the people in the know)

Sorry to offend!

LeBodge. LeBodge.

no, no, no, no...dont think that way at all! No offense taken at all! This is a forum for computer professionals, no matter what the skill level is. I believe teknic was just trying to point out the normal steps of troubleshooting should be followed, and I simply agreed with him. It's not a flame by any means, so don't take it that way at all! :)
Sorry if you got the wrong impression - it wasn't intended. pbxman
Systems Administrator

Ok, I understand, but I've learnt my lesson - stick to what you know, I'll do the Flash movie, database and Photoshop graphics and leave the hardware to you guys, just emailed the client to say the same.

Thanks for all your help and I still want to try that computer name change (for old times sake)

Cheers, LeBodge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back