Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BHO Cop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomgg

Technical User
Jun 9, 2002
US
Hello, Everyone: Has anyone ever used BHO (Browser Helper Objects) Utility? I liked to know the Pro's and Con's, before downloading it! Tom

Check the last few posts of this thread:thread779-417976

Smah, The only thing that this seems to tell me (tell me if i am correct?) is that you cannot have Yahoo companion with the BHO, they dont work together?

I took it that BHOCop found the Yahoo Companion (ycomp5,0,2,0.dll) but for whatever reason, couldn't solve the problem.

Well, I read it again and maybe that was what was used to solve the problem. Sorry not much help.

I think you may have misunderstood, i don't have any problem, i just want to find out if anyone has use the BHO utility and could tell me the pro's and con's of having it?

I have used it for a couple of years, in XP, and before that in 9x, it has never caused any problems and just (when Set Up) runs at start up for a few seconds and then finishes. It stops other programs from placing BHO's in IE. At the initial set up after first installing it will show you any BHO's that are in IE and you decide whether to keep them or not.

It comes with a very detailed Help program and is well worth a read.

linney: Thank you, thats what i was looking for! One more question? When you see the BHO's that are already on your pc, is it possible to know where they are from? just so i know to keep it or not, because i think i heard ome programs won't run without them?

It displays the BHO name, version, path and a Registry location (CLSID). Plenty of information to identify the owning program.

Ok, Linney, Thank you for the info, I will try it.

Hi,
My (todays) experiance is that I have a Win XP System & IE 6 running. My system was infected with BHO By Morpheus. So I found the "BHO Cop" Download and installed it. The problem I am having is that BHO cop does not seem to recognize the existance of the offending dll. See my posting here
thread779-421310 on my system Win XP (SP 1) IE 6 (SP1) BHO Cop does not seem to work.

Jim.

linney Thank you for the info, sorry it took so long to get back but sometimes i loose my email and forget where i posted, i will look into these sites you gave!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back