Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best way to join - brain block

Status
Not open for further replies.

quackslikeaduck

Technical User
Apr 16, 2013
US
I'm trying to make joins of the relationships in my database. However I can't seem to join anything and have it work out. Meaning that I don't see all of the data in the form. I don't mind creating a new form but I honestly don't see anything I can join on. I have 4 tables with several fields in each. If there is a way I can upload a copy of my table I will.

I typically use a single form to edit a single table. A main form has the record source of the main/parent table and the subform is bound to the related child table.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Thanks!! Can I make it look as if it were one form? The look right now has arrows along the left side and two bars at the bottom. One more question can I get them to "save" or "update" all in one click when they are finished filling in the information then go to a new record? Thanks!

This has no meaning to me
quackslikeaduck said:
has arrows along the left side and two bars at the bottom
. Can you explain the relevance?

What are your record sources?

What are your tables/fields and relationships?

Have you looked at any sample applications with forms and subforms?

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Hi Thanks! My record sources are listed above. I think I've used just about all fields. When my users are through filling out the out the purchase orders I would like them to have a way to update or save the information to the tables then if need be move on to a new form to fill out another purchase order or close the application.

TblPurchaseOrder should be the record source of your main form. tblPurchaseOrderItems should be the record source of your subform. The link master/child should be ProductCodeNum.

ProductCodeNum in tblPurchaseOrder should be an autonumber or you need to make sure the values are all unique.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

I believe that's the way I have it setup with exception of the ProductCodeNum isn't an autonumber. That's why I couldn't figure out what to join on in the beginning. Even the PO field is a DMax value so that all PO's are in order. Do you another way that I could have done it. I didn't want to link all ID's to one another. Do you think it's wrong the way it is now?

I think it's okay for now but I need to read up on the customization of the form and the buttons to save, go to new record or close.

Feel free to explain "Even the PO field is a DMax value".

What do you mean by "link all ID's to one another"?

If your record sources are like I suggested, you shouldn't have any issues editing records.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

What I meat by "Even the PO field is a DMax Value" is that it isn't an autonumber so I couldn't link on it with all records. I think I'll leave it as is for now because I believe that my record sources are as you suggested. Should I make it so that all ProcuctCodenNum is indexed and "No Duplicates"?

I didn't change it. So far things are going good. I've been able to add my form and subforms. Still going with a few minor snags but I'm sure I'll overcome them.

I have a similar issue and have yet to be able to figure out how to join these two tables. I have one table that has several pieces data in one column and I need to join only some of this data to another table I created with the relative data.

Little background: we receive confirmations of products received via email, there are around 1000 emails received monthly and I am going through them individually. I've imported the emails into access and need to join on the subject line as the receiving sends confirmations saying: confirmation # 12345 or confirmation#12345. I have a separate table with the order numbers that I'm looking for confirmations on....hope this makes sense.

tootyfruity,
Welcome to Tek-Tips. Can you provide some sample data with table and field names and how you want them joined. It sounds like you are storing multiple values in a single field which is typically not a good idea.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Yes that is exactly what's happening. I've inherited this project unfortunately. The idea is to join on the subject line which contains: Order Confirmation # 638917872-001 Partial Order/$23.74 RECEIVED

I have a separate table with all order numbers. I'd like to pull just the order number from this field and nothing else, to join on my other table.

No, not every email will begin with 'Order Confirmation'. This is entered manually by the receiver. Isn't there logic in access to pull a specific range of characters after the # sign?

tootyfruity,
There are lots of string functions that can be used. Instr(), Mid(), Left(), and Right() should get you what you want. If after searching Help and/or the web you don't find a solution, you can create your own string functions.

Feel free to come back with about 5-10 values from the field and what values should be extracted from each.

Duane
Hook'D on Access
MS Access MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back