Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way into Cisco career field 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoKnight

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2008
US
I have computer knowledge, some anyway. That is to say I can install my own programs, I can remap "around" problemed printers to ones that are working. And it's safe to say I know that the CD try isn't a cup holder.

In other words, I have a natural affinity for computers and learn them very quickly, but a stint in an unrelated career field in the military thwarted any attempts to use that affinity until now.

Simply put, I want to learn Cisco systems and one day be an Cisco professional, perhaps starting with a CCNA and then moving on to a CCNP and beyond.

My question (now that you've read 4 paragraphs into my post) is how do I get into this field? I've read other threads here that say the boot camps train you for the test only, so for someone with my level of networking knowledge, that'd be counter-productive. I've heard that one doesn't necessarily need a degree per se, so avoiding such a lengthy stint in school is preferable, at least in the initial stages. I'm all for continued learning, but I'm a bit too old to head back to school for 4 years or more of classes before ever seeing a Cisco-related job.

My first thought about IT learning was, naturally ITT Tech. However, a quick search on google leads me to believe that they are not the way to go. I have seen some here talk about Devry and how good that is. But is it the best?

I'd like to get into this field as fast (but as knowledgeable) as possible. I would love any assistance or recommendation from those who've "been there."

Thanks,
CTC

Cisco Academy at a local junior college would be your best bet. The CCNA classes are broken into 1 - 4 with each being 8 week classes. They do the same for the CCNP but they are usually 16 week classes.

Good Luck

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Thank you.

Would you know what would be a reasonable timeframe in which I can expect to be certified and hired within this career field going that route?

I was 34 when I started Cisco Academy (CCNA), and up until that point I had fixed computers for friends, and knew nothing about networking (just hardware). A month after then Cisco Academy, with a LOT of studying and playing with actual routers and switches I bought off of Ebay, I got my CCNA, Network+ and A+. Three months later I got a job as a PC tech (was fixing copiers before). That didn't last, and 6 months later I got a job as a service engineer on hardware systems (servers), and the company was wanting to start with Cisco device support (they hired me because of the CCNA). Three months later, with much studying, I became a CCNP (no Cisco Academy this time---just books, like Todd Llamle and Cisco Press). That was a year and a half ago. Still have not had much Cisco experience, but I still play with my routers and switches and hang out in this forum every day. I'm pretty happy where I'm at, making almost twice what I was when I was fixing copiers. When I started my current job, I knew nothing about servers, and they knew that---they were just happy that I was a CCNA at the time.

HTH

Burt

Hi!
From the projected experience of your's in IT field it seems that you are on a very entry level stage as far as the Network concepts and knowledge is required to 'quickly' move into cisco certs. I would recommend that you attend 'Instructor driven' classes for CCNA certs. You can divide your CCNA journey in two stages ICND1(Exam 640-822) & ICND2 (Exam 640-816) to make things a little bit more easy for you. Clearing ICND1 exam will award you CCENT cert. and you get CCNA certified when you clear the ICND2 exam. You will probably need many hours of self study. Even CBT nuggets , the video tutorials, can help you a lot understand the cisco stuff and networking in general.I would recommend that you buy some used cisco switch and router for practicing at your home lab and if you cant afford to play with the real cisco stuff you can download an emulator called 'Dynamips' that is freely available online. You will need to search for the IOS part of cisco and 'google' will help you a lot & save you lot of money, beleive me!! I did a self study mostly some cisco press books and CBT nuggets before i took 640-802 that is a composite exam (ICND1 + ICND2) but its a thougher path as exam questions are staged to a more difficulty level and you need to be real fast to answer the question otherwise you will end up wasting the exam fees!!
Thanks,
Kalpesh Dalwadi
B.S. Electronics
CCNA

I started out fresh out of a 2 year degree in computer networking working as a pc tech for a health care system. I spent my first couple of years doing desktop/printer support before starting to get to work on servers primarily. I kept studying/learning everything I could and got some hands on experience with routers but still knew nothing about them.

Still with the same company 10+ years later. Within the last 3 years I have completed the CCNA, CCNP, CCIP. I did almost all of it as self study, but did have access to some of the online courses.

I have a hard time picking out a beginning point on where to start. I had a good background in networking concepts from my college courses, and every cert along the way (also have my Novell CNE) helped to drive in those concepts that much more. I agree, I would find a live course probably, would not necessarily have to be Cisco, but something that focuses on networking concepts.

Wow. You guys rock. Thank you for your help. I've been into computers (but lazy about it) for way too long. When I finally decided to do something about it, my initial research made the path seem a bit daunting, especially without knowing where best to begin.

I'm glad I registered for this forum. Your answers helped sum up a plethora of things my searches didn't really explain.

I actually feel like I have a good direction now. Thanks again.

Start with CCNA1 at your local college and see how you like it... you won't get a lot of 'hands on' in that first class, just enough to get your feet wet. The first class is mostly about the theory, OSI model, and getting you into subnetting.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Is Devry a good place to take the course or is there a better option?

I myself went to St. Louis Community College at Forest Park, where they have the Cisco Academy classes. So perhaps a community college---for the entire CCNA (4 semesters=1 year), it cost me about $1440.

Burt

I would avoid DeVry or any of those tech schools and stick with your local community college that offers the Cisco Academy... It will more than likely cost a lot less than a tech specific school.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Good advice. Money is definitely a little tight so the more I can save, the better. Thanks.

Is there an easy way to find out which community colleges offer the Cisco Academy? Would the Cisco site have that information or should I try the schools themselves?

CiscoTC,

As most have told you - check your local community college for a Cisco Network Academy, try to pair the classes with an AS degree program - DO NOT FOOL YOURSELF - someday you will want the AS, AA or BS /BA.

I am 48 years old and finishing my BS in Management Technolgy at a state college after I got my AS at a community college - much less expensive then some of those other degree programs - have seen some pay $30,000 for a "degree" at some of those schools.

Key is to get the education while you are picking up certs - someday you will want to move up into management and you will find (as I did :) ) you need a BS and soon a masters :-(

Also like Burt said - BUILD YOURSELF A CISCO LAB FROM STUFF ON EBAY!!!! Hands-on practice, practice and more practice!!!

Look for prior posts about setting up a lab and DO IT !!!!

Good luck and I hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

It helps. All the posts here do. I'm very into computers and networking but never really had the opportunity or drive to do anything useful with my interest until now.

The more info I get, the better my plan becomes. As a matter of fact, I think I just happen to have the perfect place for a Cisco lab in my room. Been wondering what to do with that space.

All good information, everyone. Thanks much.

The above is the link to the Cisco Netacad website, if you do some searching on there you can find a Netacad locator. Where are you located as well, if you were in the Dallas, Texas area I know that DCCCD and CCCCD both are Cisco Academy's.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I am indeed in Dallas. Thanks for the information. Looks like I'll be looking up the DCCCD folks pretty soon. Thank you.

For a good CCNA lab, I would get three Catalyst 2924's, one 2503 (router) one 2620/2621 and one 2610XM. I have some I may be selling soon...timandlizh at gmail dot com.

Burt

If you are able to, I would REALLY REALLY recommend the CCCC campus over DCCCD any day of the week and 2x on sunday. They have a better lab enviroment and better instructors IMO.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back