Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best way into Cisco career field 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiscoKnight

IS-IT--Management
Jul 28, 2008
US
I have computer knowledge, some anyway. That is to say I can install my own programs, I can remap "around" problemed printers to ones that are working. And it's safe to say I know that the CD try isn't a cup holder.

In other words, I have a natural affinity for computers and learn them very quickly, but a stint in an unrelated career field in the military thwarted any attempts to use that affinity until now.

Simply put, I want to learn Cisco systems and one day be an Cisco professional, perhaps starting with a CCNA and then moving on to a CCNP and beyond.

My question (now that you've read 4 paragraphs into my post) is how do I get into this field? I've read other threads here that say the boot camps train you for the test only, so for someone with my level of networking knowledge, that'd be counter-productive. I've heard that one doesn't necessarily need a degree per se, so avoiding such a lengthy stint in school is preferable, at least in the initial stages. I'm all for continued learning, but I'm a bit too old to head back to school for 4 years or more of classes before ever seeing a Cisco-related job.

My first thought about IT learning was, naturally ITT Tech. However, a quick search on google leads me to believe that they are not the way to go. I have seen some here talk about Devry and how good that is. But is it the best?

I'd like to get into this field as fast (but as knowledgeable) as possible. I would love any assistance or recommendation from those who've "been there."

Thanks,
CTC

How's Brookhaven? That one is like 15 minutes away from me. The CCCC schools are an hour or more away in the opposite direction from where I work.

Depends on who your instructor is, I would avoid Richland though. I did mine at Richland, and learned very little out of the class, the teacher was a power point reader.

But as for Brookhaven, I work with a guy that teaches a CCNA class up there and will see if hes teaching this Fall.

------------------------------------
Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Sweet. That's good news. Brookhaven is literrally just a few blocks away from me. The CCCC schools are all too far to reasonably commute to. I don't think Richland is any closer, either. So it's good that you're saying to avoid that one. (Easy to do since it's not even in my area.)

I've sent the people at Brookhaven an investigative e-mail because I'm a vet so I'll be inquiring about the Hazelwood tuition exemptions for Texas veterans. They have forms on their site about it but I have no clue what I'm looking at, since I've never done it before. I don't want to go through some major process only to find out I sent the wrong forms or something.

The guy I know that teachs CCNA classes up at Brookhaven is out this week, so I will ask him next week if he is teaching any classes or whom he recommends up at Brookhaven.

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

I was told to recommend Philip Gabbert for CCNA at Brookhaven...

Dallas, Texas
Telecommunications Tech
CCVP, CCNA, Net+

CCNP in the works

Cool, thanks. I'll keep an eye out for his name.

I don't know what your current employment status is, but after you get your CCNA or even your CCENT (depending on what route you take) submit your resume with a temp company that does IT placement for your area and try to get contracts that involve your Cisco training. Even if the contract is something simple like, go to office A and rack mount a switch and make sure it comes up and has connectivty. This will get your feet wet in the industry and start gaining you experience in the field because now days, paper certs aren't worth what they used to be so having experience is a Plus!

CiscoTC,

JMoore64 makes a good point - also find out who else is in your class - sometimes you can "network" in class and find a job or future employer - I had several network admins in several of my classes who ran some very large networks! They wanted to learn Cisco from the ground up even though they had been in the biz 25 years!!!

Also make sure that you push your instructor for lots of hands on labs - sometimes these are optional - take full advantage of your time in class and get as much info from your instructor as well as the other students around you!

Take full advantage of the Cisco Network Academy and join the alumni so that you can stay in touch with the Cisco Academy website once class is over!!!!!!

These classes are also great places to form study groups for CCNP, CCSP and CCIE in the future!

Hope this helps!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

To echo/add to what CiscoGuy said - I was getting out of the service (non-computer specialty, but a knack for PCs at least) and attended MCSE track classes at a networking school/consulting place. I got hired out of the class as an entry-level tech by the place. Which is to say, obviously learn everything you can in the class, but treat your classes as an ongoing job interview as well, because there are two kinds of networking going on in them. :)

-SteveTheGeek
MCSE+I, CNE, A+, and a bunch of other old certs

Will do. Thanks for all of your help. I registered class today. Orientation is on Saturday.

[2thumbsup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back