Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

best skill set to re-enter programming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobLewiston

Programmer
Nov 7, 2008
US
I've been out of computer programming for several years and my skills are no longer current. (I used to be an applications programmer.) What does everyone think would be the best skill set to develop in order to re-enter programming as quickly as possible, and what would be the best (and most cost-effective) way to go about developing those skills? Thanks to anyone who can help me.

The languages I see the most often are (not in any order):
.NET
Java
AJAX
PHP
Oracle
JavaScript
CSS
XML

Also, learning "methodologies" helps a lot too. Learn about Design Patterns, Agile Development, OOD, Project Management.

These are all things (minus the .NET) that I have had to deal with (and many other of my friends) at their positions. Hope that is a good starting point.

Your going to get a different answer from every niche within IT.

.NET
SQL
MDX
OLAP
SSIS 05&08
SSAS 05&08
SSRS 05&08
Data Warehouse
Star Schema

As for the quickest way training and practice.

I guess what WE need to know is... what type of computer programmer do you want to be? Database, Web, Desktop...

That will help us understand more to provide the right list of tools to learn. I say this because I am a programmer and in my line of work, I have not seem many of the items MDXer mentioned. So his/her tools are definitely different than mine.

Have a look at your local area and see what skills are being requested. Skills are not usually a problem, if you are competent at any IT skill you can adapt. The no hopers are the ones who have trained at college 'x' 'y' or ''z' who have not learned a skill but a theory.
Practical knowledge is the key - hirers who insist on paper qualifications should be shot at dawn.

Keith

BobLewiston said:
...in order to re-enter programming as quickly as possible...
What skill set did you have before taking your sabbatical from the industry?

What type/field would you prefer the most to get into? Systems Developer, Device writer, web applications, database front ends, Imaging, etc. You say you were an applications programmer, but that doesn't tell us what kind of applications. What language(s) did you use? Was there a database/mainframe backend? Did you interact with devices? How long ago was the last you wrote something? Was it Procedural or OOP?

Your preferred direction and history is going to best answer this part of your question.
------------------------------------------------------------

"...and did we give up when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? NO!"
"Don't stop him. He's roll'n.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back