Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best price for 4.0 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerhighguy

IS-IT--Management
Oct 13, 2003
US
I have ordered my 4.0 upgrade from my reseller months ago. Still don't have it. I have 2 quick questions if anyone has the time.

1) What is the part number for the upgrade? Have they changed the licensing model for 4.0 from 3.3?

2) Where is the cheapest place to pick up the upgrade. Seems that some online stores have it cheaper.

Thanks!

It is what it is!!

CallManager 4.0 is still on new product hold. It won't be readily available until the fall. If you need it now you have to have a Cisco Account Manager or SE fill in a form to have your order released.

Its on hold because it is riddled with bug issues. Most VARs are very reluctant to install it due to the extreme maintenance headache. Be very careful if you plan on using that version.

This is really disappointing..

Cisco is so far behind the game in the PBX market, 4.0 adds quite a few new features that is really needed, like hunt groups for example.

Meanwhile AVAYA is adding more and more features to their MultiVantage product line and is taking more and more IP telephony space away from Cisco..

Tis sad but true..

The best way is to buy an SMARTNET "SOFT ASSURANCE AND UPDATE" for CCM 3.3, this is a cat 10 I think

I know that. But it does not meet the criteria of CHEAP. It is cheaper to purchase the software seperately. I do not need the TAC's help on CCM, so it is pointless to get a Smartnet agreement for it.

It is what it is!!

List price for SAU on CCM is around $1200 - if you can find the software any cheaper than that let me know, cause I'll be buying a couple of copies! :)

I did a little looking on line and just picked up a copy of 4.01 for $500 (probably could have gotten it less).

It is what it is!!

I dont get it how you got a CM 4.01 for about $500.00.
The list on this SW is about $5995 if you plan on putting it on a DL320 or MCS7825. So lets say even if you get 60% off list from a IPT REVISED RESELLER (That you cant because even gold partners dont get more than 50% off on IPT); there is no 'legal' software available for that cost.

The proper way to get the software CHEAP is to get an SAU on your current CCM 3.x and then use the product upgrade tool on Cisco's website to order your CM upgrade.

I hope this wasnt a production system and you havent upgraded yet, if you did... you should be looking for licenses to stay ligid...

The fact is this. If the box is unopoen and contains the license, then someone can sell the software and the license legally. Many companies purchase software like this and cannot return it. So they sell it. In addition, many resellers purchase this and go out of business. Their inventory is then sold. Or there is always my favorite place to purchase anything cisco. That is EBAY!! Who knows where it comes from? Who cares. As long as it is priced right.

If you work for a large commpany with a formal budget, then pay the big bucks for your CCM system. You can afford it. I work in the medium business and I have to make my IT dollars stretch. I put together my CCM system for 50 people (and growing) for the initial investment of about 10,000 dollars. We have since upgraded to many products (including VG248, AS5350, etc) for substantially less than 50% off list, except the 5350. Most items are new in an unopened box. Heck, the 3550 power switches are great, but a 3524xl power switch for 1200? No brainer dude.

I want CCM 4.0. I could not get it. I tried. My reseller was unable to get it and I cannot get voice specialized de to the difficult requirements. Hence this thread. But a little work and a bit of searching gets me what I want for 500 dollars. Paid for it today. Should get it on Monday.

It is what it is!!

I'm still somewhat dubious about whether you can get a legitimately licensed copy of CCM 4.0 for $500, but hey... kudos to you if you can! I think I'll stick with obtaining it through traditional channels and having SmartNets so when something breaks I can call Cisco and have them fix it. My career is not worth saving a few bucks if it means that I have no support if the enterprise voice network all of a sudden decides to take a nose dive.

How are you getting CCM, to my knowledge its not even GA yet.. I've had my order in from cisco's upgrade tool and have yet to see CCM 4.0 yet.

BuckWeet

4.0 is shipping... kind of. It's still on new product hold, but if you're Cisco account manager or SE fill in a questionaire and sign off saying your network will support 4.0 then they will send the media out to you!

CM 4.0 is not available on product upgrade tool yet. Call your SE and give him your SAU contract number is he requires it to get the media for 4.0. I just upgraded our system that currently runs about 500 phones to 4.0. Upgrade was smooth and things are working great! Except that IP communicator does not work, have to wait for SR 2.
Also did a new IPT deployment on 4.0 for about 200 phones, no problems there as well. Since the product is pretty stable, I am doing all my future installs next month with 4.0.
If any of you plan to upgrade, keep the following things in mind:
1. The way voicemail ports are setup is completely changed in CM 4.0. A new feature called line groups is introduced and voicemail ports are linked to a line group so they can be hunted. Voice mail pilot requires a route pattern that routes to the voicemail port line group.
2. IP Communicator no longer works.
3. Changes in H323 gateway configuration (if you have your gateway configured as h323, if MGCP, no worries).
4. Update TSPs for softphone and outlook dial to work.
5. Attendant console needs to be reinstalled as a new feature called broadcast calls has been introduced (basic queing).
6. If you have CAR or ART installed, uninstall it before you continue and make sure CDR database is not deleted, just the tool is.

AdmanOK, I agree with you by getting your CM upgrade using SAU, its better to be safe than sorry. Cisco is going to get strict in their CM licensing in 5.0, they will make it like unity where PAK is tied to the MAC address to get a license key, so it would be tough for people to buy it from EBAY or wherever.

Computerhigh guy, I agree eBAY gets you things cheap, but just so you know, you can get a 3550-24 SMI for 1200 bucks as well, brand new from a reseller... how? Something called Flip the Switch program that gets you huge discounts on 3500s switches, you just have to know the right people... and you need to take your AM out at lunch more often ;)

Faisal Bhutto, CCIE Voice
Sr. Systems Engineer @ eNETSolutions
A Cisco Systems Revised IPT Partner.
Deploying AVVID since CM 2.4 days!

that may be true. But getting a 3550-24 power over ethernet switch for 1200 bucks new? I don't think so. Smooze your AM. My local Cisco office is unresponsive staff that have an agends, but doesn't include the smaller resellers and the SMB market. I could go on, but what's the point. We sell 20 million in wirless equipement each year (non-cisco) and they don't want a piece of it. Screw them. Don't need 'em. Thanks for the list of stuff to watch out for. I can't wait to get 4.0 installed on my test system (for the low cost of 500 dollars).

It is what it is!!

This is really disappointing..

Cisco is so far behind the game in the PBX market, 4.0 adds quite a few new features that is really needed, like hunt groups for example.

Meanwhile AVAYA is adding more and more features to their MultiVantage product line and is taking more and more IP telephony space away from Cisco..

Tis sad but true.."

It is true but I am not sure how sad I am about it. This is a battle between Avaya and Cisco and the competition makes them both better. IMHO Avaya is finally catching up on the interconnect side (Having always been better in features), this isn't a bad thing per say unless your totally partial to one or the other.

I would rather see them drive each other to better cost points and increased functionality.

I personally would like to see Cisco buy a PBX vendor..

Cisco has come along way.. I think another thing they need to do is get rid of the web interface, or totally change it.. Its sucha PITA to use, so slow, etc..

At least make it a framed web interface, that would make things easier..

BuckWeet

I agree with you

I wasn't knocking Cisco...I enjoy aspects of both. I am just saying I believe the competition from Avay or vice versa will make them both better.

Here's the part number and pricing for the 3.3 SASU on a 7825...

CON-SAU-CCM33-25
SW APP SUPP + UPGR CallManager 3.3 for MCS-7825 1 1199.00 0.0% 1199.00 1199.00

Here's the part number and pricing for the 4.0 SASU on a 7825...

CON-SAU-CM4-7825
SW APP SUPP + UPGR CallMgr 4.X - MCS-7825 1 2398.00 0.0% 2398.00 2398.00

The cost is doubled per CM...still well worth it though...contrast this with your software maintenance on a PBX and it is a no brainer to justify. You want to run without the right to download service releases or call TAC? I don't think it is a wise move. 3.3.4 has some great features that are not yet in 4.0, but many will be coming down the road in the next 4.0 service release. Here's hoping for IP Communicator support and account code support...

Pat

What features are you lacking on your 3.3 install?
So many things that are are pushed off as lack of features are just lack trained teks on the cisco platform.
I think what hurts them most is the idea of letting customers complete own installs.. and most vendors are lacking the true skill base to support an enterpise solution...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back