Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Best Practice for Replacing Bad SD Card and Upgrading IPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nortel4Ever

Vendor
Nov 1, 2011
CA
I've got a customer with an IPO 500 V2 8.1 (65) with a bad SD card that causes the built-in VM/AA to work intermittently. I tried to re-create the SD card using a laptop with 8.1 (95). I received a pop-up that said "SD card successfully re-created", but when I put it back in the IPO and rebooted, it was still at 8.1 (65) and the VM/AA was still a problem.
I can't rehost the licenses to a different card without upgrading. I've generated the upgrade XML and now have a LAC code to upgrade to the latest software release. Will this work?
1. get a copy of the config.cfg file from the old SD card
2. re-create a new SD card to 11.1.2.2 (of what ever is the latest)
3. copy the config.cfg file to the new SD card
4. put the new SD card into the IPO and power it up and wait for it to upgrade the hardware
5. once upgraded use the LAC code to generate the license
6. re-record any AA and personal mailbox greetings

Did you format the card before recreating?

NB This must only be done within Manager and not on a PC

As you may know some kit will go out of support moving to 11.1

No I didn't want to format before recreating ( yes, I know to do it in Manager ) because I was looking for a quick fix. The customer wants an upgrade regardless, I was just trying to do a quick fix on the VM/AA issues until we could get the upgrade LAC from Avaya.

I just experimented with our 11.1.2.2 lab system by removing the config file from its SD card and copying the config file from the customer's system in its place. After rebooting, our lab system came up fine, but with the customer's config - security settings, licensing, and software level retained from the lab system - so it looks like my proposed solution will work.

If anyone has any other comments or suggestions I am open. Thanks

Your method should work - it seems IPO upgrades the config.cfg file as needed. You could even pre-install the PLDS license file by renaming it (look on an existing system to see the filename) and storing it on the new SD card.

-----------------------------------
4771494_orig.jpg

Business Phone Systems for Canada

This worked, I got a new SD card and formatted it with 10.0 software and copied the customer's config file to it. I used my cell phone to record the 2 existing AA greetings then replaced the old failing SD card with the new one. Once the system came up at 10.0 (now unlicensed), I logged in and checked that the config was all good then did a traditional Manager upgrade to 11.1.2.2, generated a new license and recorded the AA greetings back to the IPO from my cell. Start to finish 2 hours.

Thanks all for your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back