Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BEFVP41 and SSH Sentinel, Works perfect with new firmware

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthsideJohnny

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2002
US
I got this latest firmware. 1.40.3d and used the documentation from SSH Site.

By looking through those and getting the new firmware, it was an easy setup. Was pulling my hair out with 1.40.3 Firmware.

Anyone needs the beta firmware let me know. I will send it to you. (remember load beta firmware at your own risk)

Hi Johnny,
Could you please send me the 1.40.3b Linksys BEFVP41 firmware. I have tried everything with the current software but can't get the connections.

Thanks in advance
Ben
bamanya@tlmcanada.org

Sorry for this "me too" response but can you send me the 1.40.3d firmware (the original link at dslreports.com does not seem to work now). This 1.40.3 firmware is close to driving me nuts!

TIA,
Zane Au
zaneau@aok.com.hk

Johnny

Are you using the 3.2.0 SSH VPM client or the 1.3 client? the posted white paper on the SSH site is for the 1.3 VPN Client. Any ideas?

Leonard

Hi Leonard,

You need SSH Sentinel 1.3.x IPSec-client in order to connect your BEFVP 41 VPN router. Follow the instructions of SSH to the point and it works.

Recommend the latest Firmware for Linky though.

Hey,
I need the firmware also.
Could you send it to mrortner@conwaycorp.net also,

I am trying to connect xp home computers to my win 2000 pro machine at home with BEFVP41. Do you know how to do that?

Yet another request for 1.40.3d . . . Thanks

srieman@yahoo.com

Thanks to all who sent the firmware. Installed it yesterday at my client's site, but I still can't make a connection from my office. I'm using SSH Sentinel 1.3.2, and have the router set up according to SSH's instructions, modified for my client's 10.0.0.x internal network.

I'd be REALLY interested in hearing from anyone who has managed to make this thing work.

Hi Mantequilla,

SSH Sentinel and latest firmware for Linky should work under all circumstances I know of.

Did you follow the instructions to the point, well, except 10.0.0.x network.

Both Linky and SSH have good logging facilities, pls check the logs and post the results. Most probably the logs will tell you the reason for unsuccesful connect.

Well, I've managed to narrow things down somewhat. Our company uses MS ISA Server as our firewall. If I connect a notebook directly into our Cisco router, it'll connect to the Linky box. Problem is, no one behind ISA Server (i. e., our internal network) can get to it.

Anyone else ever had to overcome this? As always, any suggestions are welcome.

Hi Mantequilla,

As you have obviously guessed, ISA does not support IPSec passthru without some intensive hammering, never tried.

How about replacing ISA with BEFVP41 or if you need more advanced features with SonicWALL.

Well I have tried everything else, tunnel show connected on both sides but unable to ping private ips of routers or inside workstations. The remote client is standalone computer with dynamic public IP and router alos has dynamic public IP with three workstations networked directly into the Linky.If one of you guys could send me a copy of the 1.40.4.d firmware I will give it a try.

Thanks in Advance

Deano
deanpower@warp.nfld.net

I got my client connect with ssh sentinel to his vp41 but the problem i'm running into now is we had to put an sx41 on the client side and now I cant see any of the ip's on the LAN side. Anyone have an idea.

I tried SSH Sentinal to a BEFVP41 for a few hours until I concluded that it would be cheaper for the client to buy another BEFVP41. I was able to get through "Phase 1" but it would choke on "Phase 2" of the connection.

Can I get a copy of this also?

I just purchased a BEFSX41 (firewall/VPN) router. I talk to Linksys about the differences between the BEFSX41 and the BEFVP41 and was told that, as far as the VPN was concerned, the only difference was that you could only have 2 tunnels on the BEFSX41. while on the BEFVP41 - you could have 72 as it has a 2nd processor.

I was told that both would be able to VPN with a Sonicwall firewall, which we have in my other office in New York. I was unable to get the BEFSX41, to connect. The tech support person I talked tonight said the problem was that Sonicwall uses UFI (Unique Firewall Identifier) and that the BEFSX41 won't work with the Sonicwall and I need to get the BEFVP41 router and will have to download the 1.40.3D firmware upgrade to work with the Sonicwall.

The problem is I wanted to use the Firewall to protect my system and if I go to the BEFVP41, I won't have that.

I hate to go get the BEFVP41 and then have to go get the BEFSX41 later to get the Firewall capability.

I talked to another Tech Support person who said there was a new version of 1.40.3 (which is very curious as normally a new version would have a different version number).

They haven't sent me this update yet and I can't seem to connect for the last 3 days and need to get connected.

Thanks,

Tom.

I also tried to use Manual Key instead of IKE (until I get the new upgrade), but found that I cannot do this as Sonic wall requires a 16 and 32 bit Hexadecimal values for the Encryption and Authentication keys. The Linksys boxes use only 23 alphanumeric characters.

This is really driving my crazy.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back