Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

beepers stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdusinski

IS-IT--Management
Jan 2, 2006
US
We just switched to SBC long distance and our beepers do not work any more. To use the beepers we need to dial the beeper number and then a numeric message followed by a #.

Here is what took place.
When we switched to SBC the routing table was changed so that all calls go to trunk group 2. Trunk group 3 was our old LD provider (Sprint).

Trunk group 2 is SBC copper lines for the time being. A T1 will be installed within a month.

Now when we dail a beeper and enter 230# for a call back number it acts as if the # was never entered. If I do it on my cell phone it works properly.

Could trunk group 2 be eliminating the #? How do I find the error?

Please help.

Jerry

I will make an assumption that this is a CO trunk group, based on the "copper" reference.
Look at page 2 of the trunk group and see if "suppress # output" is (y)es or (n)o, it should be "no"!

I have checked that flag and It is set to no. Any other ideas that might help are appreciated. Thank you for the response.

can you run a "list trace tac xxxx" for the relevant TAC for trunk group 2?

See what happens when you dial 230#

what does your "disp ars analysis" look like for 230

did you change the trunk group in the existing route pattern or did you create a new route pattern?

Since SBC is with AT&T you may have to insert a 9 in the route pattern

Could be that SBC is ignoring or stripping the #, Just for grins try 230##. "#" to a pbx generally signifies end of dial, which is why you input it at the end of a pager number. Unless you delete and replace the whole string, the suppress feature in the TG is the only place I can think of to strip a character at the end of the string.

list trace tac xxxx does not work on my pbx. Guess the software is too old.

display ars analysis 230 comes up with nothing.

inserting a 9 in the route pattern does not seem to help. The call is completed to the beeper company. When I key in the numeric message followed by a # I feel it does not receive the #. I tried to use the ## and it still did not work.

I have just discovered that after I dial the beeper number the beeper company answers and I wait eight seconds then key in 230# it works.

Does this make any sense to anyone??

Thanks
Jerry

Can you insert pauses between the number and the 230#? If I remember correctly a * should insert a 1.5 second pause into the phone number.

We've had to do that for beepers in the past, since some of them play a recorded voice with instructions and dont allow input until a beep. Plus it gives time for their system to pick up the ringing line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back