Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Bedlam Sounder / Ringer & IP500

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupra20v

Technical User
Dec 13, 2005
GB
Trying to connect up some exisiting Bedlam Sounders to an IP500 set-up, using an analogue port, so that when the analogue phone rings it sets off the bedlam sounder as well ( Factory enviorment so they can hear the phone ringing).

We have 2 cat5 cables going to the area, using modtaps to connect up the phones / sounder, phone works no problems but cant get more than 1 initial peep out of the sounder. Have tried setting the analgoue extension port to headset & Offhook and i get 1 peep out of the sounder, paging and ordinary analogue phone settings i get nothing.

The Bedlam sounder has a standard BT plug at the end, with a REN of 1.5

Any help appreciated

>using modtaps
master or secondary?

>IP500 set-up, using an analogue port

Is the analogue port on a expansion card or on an expansion unit?

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

the bedlam will need a ring capacitor. Ringing on standard analogue is 75 volts which is too low for the bedlam. if you have a bt junction box rip it open, pull out the capacitor and put 1 leg of the analogue extension through it:

Analogue Port (-)---------------------Bell(-)
Analogue Port (+)-----Capacitor-------Bell(+)

the initial call will ring once but that is it.

Hi Guys

The Expansion is a 8 port card not unit, and the mod taps are switchable secondary / master, tried both.

As an IT guy rather than a pure telecoms guy, would appreciate some "basic" instructions if there is any re-wiring to be done, at the moment everything is CAT5e to all ports.

TIA

If you don't want to di the capacitor tick, you can use an Avaya OPRE (Off Premise Range Extender) which is basically a voltage amplifier for the phone. I have used these in your situation in the past and they work great, albeit a little expensive. However they are plug and play and that ringer will get up and scream for you.

even if you get a BT to RJ11/RJ45 convertor with the capacitor built in you could connect from the ipoffice to this and the cat5 you have could simply plug into it.

I must admit i hoped there would be a simple / low cost solution to this, as they have this already working fine on their old phone system with nothing more than double termination into single BT style point (pair 4/5), with just the analogue phone and the sounder.

As i have 3 of these to do at seperate locations around their factory each connected to do a different analogue extension is there an easy solution, even if it meant changing the bedlams to somthing else more compatible with the IP500 ?

TIA

Thetaker

Sorry we crossed posts, that would be the most useful solution for sure, if such a lead existed ?

How is the bedlam wired - is it to a BT end? (ite may need 3 wires)

What is the wiring in the site - structured cat5/6 etc or 1308 (pairs and DPs)

It may be best to have the extension terminated to a BT master socket (2 and5) and then plug the bedlam into it.

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

cupra, that's cool, even easier solution for you,

take the bt sytle point box and use that...

Analogue extension........Bt box......Cat5......Bell

The bt box will have what you need.

Thanks again for the all replies so far, just to confirm at the moment their exisiting old system is using single pair cable. From what i have seen the bedlams sounder has a standard bt lead attached to it. From there they plug into a BT style box, with pairs 4/5 terminated which then extends a small distance into a another BT style box where it is double terminated the analgue phone back the the phone system, and the bedlam sounder. This is done just to keep the bedlam sounder slightly away from the phone its linked to so the sounder is better located.

The IP500 is running on a newly installed cat5e installation, at the moment both systems are running side by side. Once the IP500 is "live" the exisiting system will be turned off, and the existing single pair cable not used anymore. Everything we hope to put over the CAT5e, hope that makes sense.

With that in mind are the above solutions still doable.

yep, the old system will be the same as the new. All analogue works at 48v standard with a ring voltage of up to 75 volts.

If you take your cat5, run it to the bt box, pair 4/5, plug the bedlam into it. try this bt box or the 1 closer to the pbx but the setup is the same...

Current system-----double socket(1)------bt socket(2)---bell
/
/
/-----------analogue phone

IPOffice---socket (1 or 2)---------------bell
/
/
/-------------analogue phone

yep!

rj11 to bt convertor with ring capacitor.

the bt junction box will have the ring capacitor also, so depending on spare time, etc, either way will work for you.

good luck!

Thanks for all the replies gives me a couple of things to try, thanks again.

Hi Guys been in again to take a look at this problem today, but havent been able to make any real inroads into getting it sorted.

The current bedlam sounder is plugged into a BT master socket using pins 2 & 5, and then double terminated same again into another BT master socket where the phone is.

I took a cat 5 patch cable cut the rj45 off the one end used pairs 4 & 5 (blue & blue/white), terminated theses into the bt master socket and pins 2 & 5, other end of cat5 cable straight into the cat outlet fully wired, IP500 set to analogue phone for that extension, now i get 2 small beeps and 1 loud beep, hen silence ,the loud beep what it should ring as all the time.

I take it i must be doing something wrong ?

TIA

HI TT

Yeah well in the BT master socket i was using there was a ring capacitor I assumed ?

you would see the capictor if you opened it. It might be in the 1st or 2nd junction box you mentioned above. I think to lay this 1 to bed you might as well get the covertor above. This is where the problem is and this is definetly a fix, rather than going to site, fiddling with cables and going back and forth.

Have a good 1!

Yeah i just wanted to give it a go through making changes to this wiring as it may come in in handy in the future.

I will get hold of a mod tap with a ring capacitor in, the other thing do i have the IP500 settings right ? Other than leaving it as a analouge extension no other settings need changing presumably ?

If I cant get these bedlams to work, are there are straight forward plug and play alternatives that defintaely work ?

TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back