Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

[BE10] Backup-to-disk speeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

ENRG

IS-IT--Management
Aug 14, 2001
NO
I recently got a new backupserver with BE10, and a large RAID5. I'm currently setting it up/testing, but to my big concern, I only get around 300-400MB/sec when running a backup-to-disk job between the backupserver and my fileserver. Both servers are 2.8 Xeons and both have gigabit NICs.

I have tested to copy a 500MB file between the two servers and an internal gigabit FTP server. The speeds I get there, is:

Backupserver2: upload a file to the ftp = 30mb/sec, get a file from the ftp = 23mb/sec.

Fileserver: upload a file to the ftp = 32mb/sec, get a file from the ftp = 34mb/sec.

As far as I can see, these speeds are OK. Does anyone have any clue about what I can do to get better speeds i BE?

Best regards,
Einar

We had a similar issue with BE 9.1. I think it has a lot to do with the type and number of files being backed up. What sort of data are you backing up?

We ended up finding a work around, but it required evaluating and eventually purchasing another vendor's software. I don't know if that is option for you though seeing as you are using version 10.

It's mainly different sorts of documents, which all vary in size. So it's not many large files.

However, the ftp portion from the first post went fast. I tested again today with pure copy from a share on the fileserver and onto the backupservers disk. The speed were as poor as the BE throughput. I have upgraded the NIC drivers and RAID drivers, but no luck. I have stopped antivirus, indexing services and open file option, but the speed is the same low.

We just bought version 10, so we'll stick with it for now. Hopefully we'll work it out somehow.

The problem we found was that some applications backed up slow regardless of what we did (Upgrading NIC's...). The solution we went with backs up to disk and the first backup was just as slow as the rest. The difference was on incrementals it only backed up changed files and merged it with our last full giving us a full. Or we could set it up to create versions of different files with a link to the origingal backup so it took up very little disk space but allowed multiple full backups to be stored on our array. This package proved to be the most effective.

Just in case, here is the info:

Good Luck!

Thanks Will, I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back