Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM50 1.0 to 3.0 upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fonetrbl911

Technical User
Sep 11, 2008
US
Just finished upgrading a BCM50 from 1.0 to 3.0. The upgrade went well, all data was preserved however the power led keeps flashing. I have tried different power supplies, unplugged for at least 15 minutes and no luck. Anyone run across this problem?

So the power led flashes but the phones are up and seem to have kept their programming?
Have you followed the upgrade guide?(ie:changing bcm name,etc..)

Yes, the system is functioning fine except for the blinking led. Maybe I should try to run through the upgrade again? Will the BCM let me run the 1.0 to 3.0 upgrade now that im already at 3.0 or do I need to perform the level 2 reset, revert back to 1.0, regenerate the upgrade keycode and try again? Any ideas? Very frustrating.

Because a flashing LED on a BCM50 is not normal. There is a problem somewhere??!! Are you able to connect to it using BEM?

SHK Certified (School of Hard Knocks)
NCSS

The customer knows that its not supposed to be blinking and I have quite a few of these in my zone that I will be upgrading in the near future. If there is a problem with the upgrade or I am possibly doing something wrong (wouln't be the first time) I would like to know about it now.

Yes everything appears to be working fine DigitelD

did you patch it after the upgrade ?
is the voice mail working ok ?

If its not broke tweak it..

Can you access the alarms in Element Manager?Anything showing up there?

If doing an LED reset doesn't turn it green (although alarms turn it on solid, not flashing) then there is probably something wrong somewhere.

The only reference I have ever come across about the power LED flashing red is waiting for some kind of input from the user in regards to a level 1/2 reset.

Is it possible that someone inadvertently pressed the reset button? It's been a while since I've done one and I thought it would time out if you didn't take some kind of action within a relatively short timeframe but that may just be in regards to a level 2.

Before I did anything, I would make sure I had a current backup. You might find yourself having to do a level 1 reset. You'll lose all your programming but not your software updates but hey....as long as you have a backup!

Let us know what you find. This is a good one.

I have reset the LEDs, no one else has touched the system and I have not patched it yet. I was going to install the patches after the upgrade until I encountered this problem. The voice mail is working fine, there arent any alarms except the imaging alarm that the docs say is normal after the upgrade, it has been rebooted a few times and left unplugged over nite to no avail, I did do a 1.0 backup before the upgrade. I could do a level 2 reset, regenerate the keycodes and try the upgrade again, however, the upgrade went smooth as could be. Also, it didn't have any patches on the system prior to the upgrade, I didn't read anything that said it needed a prerequisite. I need a direction, what to do, what to do......

I would do a backup then install the latest SU_Desktop and latest SU_System. It might fix it.Anyway do this before level 1 or 2 reset.

First thing to do is a backup. If you do a level 1 or 2 reset now it will reload the image that is on the hard drive and that is still Rel 1.0 so you would have to do a restore from the backup you did before you did the upgrade and then do the upgrade again. Pretty time consuming.

You might want to get the new 3.0 image and put that on (once you've done your backup and installed all the latest patches). Once the system reboots from that new image you might not have any problem at all.

That's what I would do!

Good Luck and let us know the outcome.

So it appears that I was wrong, I cannot get into CallPilot. "A network problem was encountered. Please check your network settings." That was through Lan 1 and the OAM port. Should I even try loading the patches or go right for the level 2 reset and start from scratch?

If you still have access to UM, you might as well try the patches. At this point what harm could it do?

This is a known bug because the name of the BCM was left in default before you did the upgrade...

"BCM50 system name change if using “default” name: You must change the system name
from factory default prior to upgrade to avoid erroneous entries in the /etc/hosts file which can
affect access to CallPilot Manager and IP Subsystem when using Element Manager."

The upgrade changes the default system name to bcmm50r3, however, the network hosts file
may not be changed in some cases and causes access problems over the network. The user
must therefore change the system name using Element Manager
Configuration->System->Identification screen after the upgrade to ensure that the network
hosts file is changed as well. The first step in this process is to change the system name back to
bcmm50r1 to update the network file. Following this step the system name can be changed to
anything.

Roger that TLDuk, so if I chg the name back to BCMM50r1 to update the network file, then what?

rename it to anything you want after setting it back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back