Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

circlejs

Technical User
Jan 31, 2009
US
Hi, I have a BCM450. I started the unit up and tried to connect to it via the console port. I have configured the computer to obtain an IP address automatically and restarted it with no success. I have also went in and set the computer to have an IP address of 10.10.11.2 and subnet mask of 255.255.255.252. Still no luck. The LED lights on the left side of the unit are orange. I have no seen them turn green at all. Thank you for any help.

Is your BCM 450 a new system?. Have you opened up the unit to check that all of the connections and cables are present and secure?.

Have you change the subnet to a different one such as 255.255.255.0 etc?. However, seeing red LED's does as indicated by the last memeber appear to be a major failure of some sort or another.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

I forgot to mention at the time of the post that the Hard Drive light was off as well. I have placed a MBM in the unit and it fried it. It popped something on the board in the MBM. It was a 32+. My plan was to attempt to access it from a phone to get the IP address. I removed the MBM and did not detect any burning smell from the BCM itself. I left it off for a few hours and now I have turned it back on. It fired up and the power light is now green. Light above it with the phone symbol has turned from amber to red. There is currently no MBM installed. Don’t know if there was a problem with the last one but at this point I am kind of scared to try another one. I will try and locate a null modem cable to access it via the serial port. This is the first BCM450 for me. Thanks

Two yellow leds mean that the system hasn't initialized or started up.

A red above a green led means that there is a service that failed to startup. You could try the OAM lan port again and connect to the BCM at 10.10.11.1, there is a good chance you will get the web interface.

From the web interface, you should be able to start the Element Manager or access the logs from the Other Admin Applications->BCM Logs to troubleshoot further.

Still have not been able to connect via the OAM LAN port. I have set the computer to obtain an IP address automatically and it never does. I have also configured the computer with and IP address of 10.10.11.2 subnet of 255.255.255.252 and gateway 10.10.11.1 and still no luck. I will try connecting with a null modem cable today. Thanks.

Well after making a null modem cable and connecting to the unit it booted up and did alot of loading. Afterwards it gave me the chance to login. I couldn’t login via hyper term but I did try the OAM port again and was able to get an IP and connect. I configured the LAN ports and I am now able to connect to the system via the network. The only thing worrying me now is wondering if I put another MBM in will it burn it up? I am hoping for some reason that was just something wrong with that MBM. I will find an older one and give it a try before cooking another 32+. Thanks for all the help.

The LED above the Power LED (Looks like the feature button icon) is still red. I assume that is due to no MBMs installed?

It's showing alarms in your bcm which you can clear and reset leds under "administration" - "alarms".
Quick question, did you put your DSM32+ with "power on" in the Bcm450?

LOL nah, I didn’t put the module in with power on. It would be nice to be able to do that. Good question though. I am back at the BCM450 now and Both the power LED, the LED above it, HDD-1, RAID, and HDD-2 LED are all amber and I am not able to connect to it. Going to restart it.

It restarted fine but while I was connected it went back to all amber LEDS.

The LEDs are different on the BCM450. I don't have access to a 450 at this moment, but take a look at the documentation.

Try a 32+ MBM in a different slot and see what you get.

--DB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back