Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM450 Expansion Unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

EngMajdi82

Vendor
May 9, 2015
JO
Hello ...

I have customer need a BCM450 Expansion, I found the Expansion on the store but with no 5m cable, is this cable striaght, if i buy a 5m cable, is this will work ?

Best Regards

I recall that the BCM 400 systems needed a particular cable but I think that the BCM 50 and 450 ones were just standard Ethernet cables.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel and Avaya Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer

Very advance high level knowledge on the Linux BCM phone system.

Website

I recall that the BCM 400 systems needed a particular cable but I think that the BCM 50 and 450 ones were just standard Ethernet cables.

Firebird Scrambler

Website

I am thinking standard will work but shielded recommended and 5m would be the max....shorter works though.

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

I remember trying to use a plain CAT5e patch cord on a BCM450 expansion several years ago and it wouldn't work. I had to order the special Nortel expansion cable. I use plain CAT5e patch cords on BCM50 expansion cabinets all the time though.

For the BCM450 expansion chassis, you must use a cable with the correct length - and that is 5 meters. The protocol used for the communication between the main system and the expansion chassis requires a pretty exact timing, which is achieved with the 5m cable length. It can be shielded or unshielded Cat 5e (or better) cable, but the length is crucial.

The BCM450 expansion chassis installation guide ( includes a paragraph about this topic on page 37:
[tt]Attention: The timing in the BCM450 system is critical. Use the correct
length of cable as supplied with the expansion cabinet (5 m). The system
cannot function properly if you connect the BCM expansion cabinet using a
cable of a different length.[/tt]

I hadn't realised that the Ethernet expansion cable had the same requirements as the 400 system.

Firebird Scrambler

Website

The BCM450 expansion chassis and the BCM400 one are identical (and so is the communications protocol). Hence, the same cable is required to connect the expansion chassis to both BCM400 and BCM450.

Hello all,

I try cable less than 5m, and its work fine

Thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back