Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM400 R4.....Distorted/Garbled Voicemail Messages 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tylerdesjardins

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2012
CA
Hello All.

I have a customer with a BCM400 R4 (4.0.2.03) at their main site.

They have had 5-6 employees complain of Garbled and Distorted audio when listening to their voicemail through their digital set (T7316e).

It is intermittent (not every time they check there VMail).

I am sure it has happened to more than 5-6 employees with this issue...but these were the only ones who complained.

I have checked BCM Monitor and all of the values look to be within the norm (avg of 1-2% CPU usage, 54% Physical memory, 0% Virtual Memory)

Any help would be great. Thanks.

Nope. The same message can be checked, lets say 10 times, and may only be garbled once.

Nope. The same message can be checked, lets say 10 times, and may only be garbled once.

I just got word that the garbled/distorted audio is being heard by customers listening to the greeting/auto attendant.

Could this be a Voicemail issue? since AA works through Voicemail Ports

Anything in the alarm log? High CPU usage perhaps?

In the Alarm log, I did get /var/log is at or near capacity, but after a reboot it went away.

My SNMP monitoring software shows Memory Usage at 98% but BCM monitor stays at 54%...I'm of course going to trust BCM monitor (designed by Nortel, designed for BCM, etc.)
SNMP software also shows 'unknown rootfs mounted on /' to be 1.2GB out of 1.5GB used

CPU usage is never above 5-6% when looking in BCM monitor.

Could be a bad voice mail channel. can you go into voice mail until you hear the garble then check with BCM Monitor to see what channel it is on? Then repeat and see if it is the same one everyime or maybe 2.

If all else fails and as a last resort then reinstall call pilot.

If you are not using the Auto Attendant and just using mailboxes then try a reinstall off call pilot
This will erase all voicemail,AA etc,Call centre.

This way you have a fresh install of call pilot.
Then just use add many mailboxes to reassign the mailboxes.

I have had to do this on some systems were the call pilot would say "cant connect" to mailbox messages.

I have this exact trouble. Was a solution ever found?

Thanks

No solution. I told the customer you have to live with it or upgrade to Avaya IP Office

I've run into this a lot. I have found most often there will be high CPU alarms or physical memory errors in the log. A reboot clears it up. The other cause I've commonly run into is hard drive capacity. You said you had errors about /var/log filling up and your root partition is 80% full.

Thanks marice,
A reboot seemed to clear it up.

Pete

If you plan on swapping out the system, go for an ENetroTel instead of that POS IP Office! Works better is about half the price.

Im already in the process of swapping out my BCM's with ShoreTel systems. They are pretty affordable too, and easy to use.

The big difference is with EMetroTel, you keep your Nortel sets and they will work exactly like they do now, unlike the IP Office.

Shoretel is ok, but it is a complete platform swap and if the customer is willing to do that, the door is open for ecery other system out there.

ahh, I see. that sounds cool.
I only compared Cisco, IP office, and ShoreTel. ShoreTel was the most bang for the buck. It is hard for me, I have been a Nortel guy my whole phone career.

Then you should really look at the EMetro. Not only do they support Nortel phones, they also support Cosco, Polycom, Snom, Grandstream and pretty much any generic SIP phones. Word has it that they will soon support Avaya IP sets. All they need are the binary files and permission to use them.

Hell, they even have 2616 sets working on them and the small UCx50 has even been used as a replacement for the CallPilot on the CS1K system.

Avaya better watch out for these guys. In fact, EMEtro is acollection of ex Nortel engineers who did development on the Norstar and BCM as well as some disenchanted Avaya guys so the system programs like a bit of both.

Awesome little machine!

Telcodog, I agree with you. I have one set up as my lab system/home phone system.

I replaced my BCM50 with it. I have one 1140E with a KEM that is still attached to the BCM because Emetrotel is in the process of upgrading the software to use KEM's.

What I LOVE about this system is that the platform and user functions are a hybrid of BCM/CS1000 and they work the same across all models from the base system UCx to the large UCx1000. Unlike the BCM and CS1000 that used very similar phones, but very different feature operations, this system bridges the gap and all phones operate uniformly. The phones tones, CLID, time and date, and system prompts closely match CS1000 as opposed to BCM. To me it's a dream come true.

I believe they are still in process with the M2000 and M39XX sets but you can use:
Nortel 11xx and 12xx IP sets (And yes even the ones with he Avaya branding)
Nortel i2XXX sets
Nortel M7XXX and T7XXX sets
3rd party SIP sets (I currently am running a Cisco 7970 and Avaya 9630 on my system)

I definitely agree that they will be a serious competitor in the field once they get even stronger. Why the heck would people swap out great BCM and Nortel telephones for other manufacturers bland telephones when you could keep your Nortel phones and operate them on a system developed by Nortel engineers and designers who have over 30 years of experience at Nortel?

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back