Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM200 hard drive restore 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

piersmac

Technical User
Nov 14, 2008
GB
Hi,

The hard drive on my BCM200 has died! It does not spin :( and I do not have any of the original software or documentation from when it was purchased new!! We are a small company and the staff who originally set it up no longer work here, Nortel can not help us because we don't have the log in details to the support site any more :(

All I can find is a BCM4.0 upgrade CD! so if any one can host a a 3.7 or 4.0 ghosted image or just the install software I would be very very grateful.

If you have any pointers please feel free to contact me off-list.

Many thanks in advance,
Piers

In which city are you? Maybe one of the tech here is in your area.

I am in the UK, can any one recommend a helpful vendor? How do I transfer licensing data as I have absolutely no documentation or original proof of purchase?

Do you know what software version it was ?

If its not broke tweak it..

This is part of the problem, the unit has 3.5 written on it, but we have an upgrade disc here which is a 3.7 to 4.0 upgrade. This unit had been doing its job without any alterations until it died and none of the current staff have ever even entered the control panel for it!! So we have no idea what it was running before the hard drive packed in.

I have tried attaching the hard drive to another machine to recover any data but the thing just doesn't spin up.

I am still open for any suggestions.

Piers

Easy, just buy a 40 GB hard drive and buy the Image Tool for Release 3.5 abd get the code form Nortel or you can use Norton Ghost to make a clon disk to install in the new hard drive.

Well, it sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle with this one!

I will assume that the system is not even running at this point so you can't even go into telset programming (if it's still running, just enter F**sysid from a set). If that's the case, if you can get the sysid, you could log into KRS and find out what version they have it listed at and get a corresponding drive and begin from scratch.

If you can't get the sysid (if the original labe is still on it, it's listed there), I would just grab a replacement drive and put it in and get it the point where you can get the id and go from there. Once you get the id you can get your keycodes from KRS, grab an appropriate replacement drive and let the pain begin.

Sounds to me like he is an end user i lot of the suggestions will be difficult for him to complete..

Where are you located in the UK ?

I'm sure i could help you out on this one...

When doing "feature **config" on a set with Softkeys(7310,7316,7324 ..) does it ask for a userID?
If it is then you have a Bcm 4.0. Better put the right image on it to avoid problems.

Thanks to everyone who has offered help!! I am still no further with identifying the software as the old hard drive is dead dead dead :( I get nothing from the terminal port nothing on the phones :( I know nothing about how to programme or configure this system, but am willing to learn if necessary.

I am in Cornwall in the UK and I wouldn't know who to ask locally for help - I don't know who originally installed the system. At best I was hoping that a ghosted image of the hard drive could be downloaded from somewhere, I've had a good trawl through Nortel website but I can't find any form of disaster recovery help; or at least I can't get access to them...

We've had to divert our phones to our analogue system for now, but we are still keen to gt this resolved!

If u can get the serial # off the back of the unit, a vendor w/ access to the Nortel KRS site can figure out what keycodes u have on the system and what s/w. Once that has been done you can figure out what replacement s/w & HD u need.

You can use a 40GB HDD (we use Barracudas I think), then use BIT (BCM Imaging Tool software) to image the new drive. As Dasheen posted, your keycodes and software level can be determined by Nortel's Keycode Retrieval System (KRS). Keep in mind, any keycode generated for a 3.5 will also work on a 3.6 or 3.7, but NOT on a 4.0 system..

Send me an offline message..

All your phones should still work when you power up the system. The hard drive is for voicemail, IVR, VoIP, etc.. As long as the MSC Card has power, your phones should work (except if they are IP telephones).

--DB

Thanks again for all your suggestions, TLDUK, I don't have permission to download the BIT images according to Nortel, I've tried emailing them but they have been less than helpful :/

I can't find an option to send offline messages through the forum but if anyone wants to contact me you can use piersmac@mailinator.com

Is it ok to post my serial number here for someone to help?

i have emailed you

HI TLDuk, it seems that mailinator.com is a bit quick to delete mails that it thinks is spam :( Could you resend to piersmac@live.com?

Many Thanks,
Piers

I'm having the same problem I have no idea where to get the 3.7 images from can anyone help me out?

Still in need of the images?

cheers,

subx

Yes I still need the images, having no luck finding them anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back