Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM200 3.6 Backup hardrive

Status
Not open for further replies.

nsantin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 9, 2004
CA
Hi,

We have an older BCM200 running 3.6. Upgrading at this time isn't feasible.

I'm looking to purchase a new/refurb 3.6 HDD and keep it on the shelf in the event the current one fails.

I've reviewed the FAQ on replacing a drive and it looks pretty straightforward, I assume the last step would be to restore from a backup.

Can anyone provide any tips for this, I beleive keycodes are stored in the MSC, is that correct? Or is it the SystemID that comes from the MSC? either way my keycodes would be still valid.

Also, any other parts I should look at storing?

Thanks!

The easiest option would be to use a disk imaging program such as Acronis and do an image of your current setup. I've done a BCM 400 3.6 Image OK.

Under licencing you should be able to find what keycodes you have and also be able to re input them against your own BCM again.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Thanks for the tip, i've seen some FAQs on this and the refer to using the nortel BITs or some command line switces for Ghost.

If i image this, i suspect I need to pull out the drive and put it into another machine with both the new target drive right? (3 HDDs in total)

Does the new drive need to be 20GB or can i use a bigger IDE drive?

I do have some extra machines laying arounf where I can stick in some drives. to do this. I have DriveImage 8.0, with that work?

I always use Acronis on a single image. My UK BCM 200 3.6 was saved as around 4.4 GIGS. You can use larger IDE drives.

All the best

Firebird Scrambler
Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK

If it's working, then leave it alone!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back