Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM tie line without central office? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orangeblood

Technical User
May 11, 2006
US
We have an existing MICS 7.1. We would like to add a BCM50 in the same building and connect the two such that both can share the existing PRI coming into the MICS. An IP trunk between the two would probably be easy to deploy, but it would be limited in capacity. We would prefer to connect the two systems with digital trunks (configured either as T1 or PRI), but I'm not sure if this is possible without going through the central office (and that would defeat the whole purpose of leverage just one PRI to the CO). The Nortel docs SEEM to indicate that the two systems can be connected directly, but other sources indicate that there would need to be some kind of T1 emulator to provide a T1/PRI environment similar to what a central office would provide. Anyone out there know the answer? If we need an emulator or some such thing, can you identify one?

The 2 can be connected with either a T1 or PRI all you need is the hardware and a T1 cross over cable. You do not need to go thrrough the Central Ofice or any 3rd party emulator. If you do use PRI then there are also software codes you will have to buy for the MICS that would be MCDN Codes.

Awesome. Now about the need MCDN codes... I thought MCDN was only if you wanted to do sophisticated call handling such as trunk route optimization or trunk anti-tromboning. Are you saying that MCDN is required on the MICS just to operate a basic PRI? If the MICS requires MCDN, wouldn't it be required on the BCM too?

You are correct to a point the MCDN gives you the SL1 Protocol option (nortel to nortel). Some say they have got it to work using NI2 but I have never tried that.

Ok I just tried it in the lab with 2 MICS's. I could not get them to work using NI2 the D-Channels would not come up. The only way I can get the PRI to work is using the SL1 protocol which means to run PRI back to back you need the MCDN. Maybe someone else will chime in with something else to try. At least you can do it as just a normal T1 without buying the codes.

Yes Hawks, you can build a vanilla T1 with E&M trunks and use a crossover w/o keycodes. But, to get a PRI up you need MCDN keycode so SL1 is a protocol choice along with Master/Slave.

I appreciate the insight. I need to pass DID digits over to the second system, so I think I need PRI and thus must bite the bullet and buy MCDN. I've never done DID across a T1. I suppose it might be possible to do it as I see they now have DID on individual analog lines, but I'm not familiar with how that works. I think I'll go with PRI unless someone says they've seen DID digits coming from a PRI passed over a a T1 to a second system.

Thanks.

The only way I know is by using LINE REDIRECT then you can send the call from A to B.
Example: call comes into system A on Target Line 100 and you want it to go to someone in site B. Then you would use Line Redirect and send line 100 back out of site A across your T1 connection to whoever you want the call to go to in site B. The point to point T1 would be set up as AUTO ANSWER E&M Trunks.

A T1 thats is set up as E&M is just like a pri execpt you don't get CLID. It will pass digits the same way ,this is one way it was done on a T1 before PRI came along.

I agree with Cook, no problem sending DTMF from one to another with E&M trunks and Auto Answer. I also concur you will only lose CLID.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back