Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM Configuration - Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNSSMIS

MIS
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hello,
My company is going to migrate from the (2) MICS Nortel 8X24 DR5 (expanded)to the a BCM400 w/ Expansion. Currently we have 150 Digital Ports and 60 Analog POTS and plan on using the same telephones on the BCM 400. We will keep about 8 POTS. Start off with 47 trunks on 2 PRI with DID, and Outbound Dial Tone.
Does anyone have any concerns about resource? Is the BCM4000 totally non blocking? Does the Expansion cabinet require a Slot on the Main to add the Expansion? Are there any Power Factors to consider if using M7324 (big phones)? There are currently 10 on the system(s). 82 M7308, 12 M7310, and a bunch of M7100.
1 Main w/ Redundant PS
1 Expansion Cab
3 DTM
4 4 DSM32+
2 CMB4X16

Thank you in advance!
SNSSMIS

The BCM400 will not do the configuration you specify.

You say:
3 x DTM (this will take 3 DS30 Buses)
4 x DSM32 (This will take 4 DS30 buses)

You only have 6 DS30 buses to work with..

Thank you for the reply. Maybe scale back a bit. Future expansion was considered in that config.
Let say I have:
1 Main cabinet (4 Media Bays) - Redundant PS
1 Expansion (6 Media Bays)
2 DTM
4 DSM32+
2 CMB 4 X 16

Are you saying that the Media Bays (10 of them)only have 6 buses to share? Can you expand on subject?

Also, the expansion, does that take a Media Bay on the main?

There is a formula that can only add up to 6 resorces(modules in Norstar terms).The modules you have add up to 10 the BCM will ony handle a total of 6. No more expantion.
Just because the main unit and the expantions slots add up to 10 does not mean 10 cards.

There are modules for the BCM that use only a portion of a BUS Slot, for example, you can place 4 ASM8s in 1 BUS Slot

Thank you for that clarification. How about:
1 Main
1 Expansion
2 DTM
3 DMS32+
2 CMB 4 X 16

Would this work but be maxed out?

The 4 X 16 also uses a full BUS, meaning that you are 1 BUS too many

Also, if you want to go to this platform, consider also adding a BCM 50 and network the two together using MCDN, Centralized VM and Tandeming, OR

drop the 4X16s, use IP phones that use internal BUS. You can get away with up to 35-40 IPs without changing you resources split.

The system is getting smaller and smaller....

What if we drop a DST? Can we add another BCM400 Seamless?

I know Mitel, Nitsuko, but not BCM. Thanks!

You just answered my question about adding another BCM while i was posting.
Great Idea, Mix with IP Phones. We need to have some "Bling" in the upper office anyway.

We ahave about 96(good) Digital Phones to reuse. Trash the 17 7100s.

How about:
1 Main
1 Exp
2 DST
3 DSM32
1 4 X 16 (got to have backup) or do we?

Will that fit and still be able to add 40 IP phones?

I understand that the system resource is maxed out with:
2 DST
and
4 DSM32

Networking another BCM sounds intresting.

With BCM 4.0

The resources all depend on each other.

With a 2/6 split you get
58 ip sets
60 ip trunks
and 6 ds 30 channels.

With a 3/5 spit you get 91 (give or take 1)ip sets
60 ip trunks
and 5 dso 30 channels.

I would never consider using 4x16 they just cloud up your system.

A dsm 32+ will take up 1 ds 30 channel
that is 32 tdm (tseries phones)
a DTM will take up one ds30 itself. If you look at the manual it looks like there would be more resources in that bus, but i have never been able to figure out how to do that. so there is anothere ds 30.

with a 2x6 split you can get your dtm plus 5 dsm 32+ modules.
That is 160 tseries phones. if you want b1 trunks subtract 32 tseries phones and give yourself the ability to have 32 analog trunks.

You still will be pretty maxed out but it seems possible.

Hope this helps.

Understand what speakerboy is referring to are the maximums and not necessarily mix and match, I E, you can't have 58 IP sets and 60 Trunks.

You posted:
(How about:
1 Main
1 Exp
2 DST
3 DSM32
1 4 X 16 (got to have backup) or do we?)

If you mean 2 DTMs instead of 2 DST, this scenario will work.

I have a couple of customers that bought a maxed out system (all busses full) from the start because they wanted functionality of digital and IP with Call Center and CDR, etc. They said they will go with a BCM50 with networking when they expand.

Also don't forget that each enabled voicemail port takes away from the maximum number of IP sets you can have, as both IP sets and voicemail ports use a signalling channel. For example, with 10 voicemail ports enabled, you will max out at 80 IP sets with a 3/5 DS 30 split.

I have not yet tried to push a combo of voip trunks and ip sets with a 3/5 split to reach the max.

So I really cannot vouch if these are shared resource or if nortel splits them up.

I kind of get the feeling that in the 4.0 that you have a max for each resource including application dn's such as voice mail.

With the size of your system, if you anticipate any future growth, you may want to look at a CS1000 PBX as opposed to a BCM. You wouldn't be doing yourself any favors installing a maxed out system.

I agree with biv343.

You don't want to start out with no where to go.

I also agree with biv343 and speakerboy, if $ is no object.
Otherwize, you might consider the networking option, or even go with a Mitel 200 and go fully IP or buy the gateway that interfaces with the Nortel digital sets.

Thanks to all for the information provided.
The network manager is not hip on placing voice traffic on the LAN / WAN with IP Phones. Creating the VLAN, QOS, programming is new teritory.
If at all possible stick with the M7XXX phones since they are still good working phones.
Does the CS1000 PBX have soem of the features that the BCM bring to the table?
I agree will leaving room to grow. Condensing 60 lines down to 47 trunks on a PRI will be a challenge.
Combo in/ou with DID blocks, pilot numbers etc...
Does anyone have a good link to CS1000 information?
If the existing phones will work, that may be the ticket.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back