Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

BCM Configuration - Resource

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNSSMIS

MIS
Feb 21, 2007
US
Hello,
My company is going to migrate from the (2) MICS Nortel 8X24 DR5 (expanded)to the a BCM400 w/ Expansion. Currently we have 150 Digital Ports and 60 Analog POTS and plan on using the same telephones on the BCM 400. We will keep about 8 POTS. Start off with 47 trunks on 2 PRI with DID, and Outbound Dial Tone.
Does anyone have any concerns about resource? Is the BCM4000 totally non blocking? Does the Expansion cabinet require a Slot on the Main to add the Expansion? Are there any Power Factors to consider if using M7324 (big phones)? There are currently 10 on the system(s). 82 M7308, 12 M7310, and a bunch of M7100.
1 Main w/ Redundant PS
1 Expansion Cab
3 DTM
4 4 DSM32+
2 CMB4X16

Thank you in advance!
SNSSMIS

Existing phones will not work with the CS1000 option switch. You can use analogs, 2000 and 3000 series phones with the Option

BCM400 v 4 now support 8x16 - new card if you needed.

IP phones on LAN barely create any impact on network load if you use 100 full duplex switch ports ( 10 hub is ok but not recommende by Nortel ) Put sniffer on or BCM mon and you will see the load

I had 2 PRI , 1 GAT8, 1 GSM8, 96 digital sets and over 50 ip phones on same Lan and have no issue
on BCM400 v4 using all bus . Been waiting for BCM600 instead of CS1000 route (!) I just hate them CS1000, Opt Nortel administration chore .

BCM600 - Do you have any links to that system?

Thank you for letting me know about the resource load!

We use Cisco Switches and Hubs.

Dang glad the weekend is here!

VoIP phones aren't very resource intensive but to add them to a converged LAN network, QoS is a must. Nortel supports and recommends Diffserv using weighted fair queuing. Diffserv will need layer 3 core switching to work properly.

IP phones won't work properly using shared media devices (hubs or bridges) which are half duplex and are collision domains.

Are you refering to an upgrade on the Nortel MICS?

What are the MAX configuration with 2 PRI in option 11C?

Any links?

An Option 11C is a PBX that hangs on the wall just like the Norstar. You can't use your old phones on it though, you will need to but new phones. In mine I have

4 Cabinets
4 T1's
220 Digital phones
100 500 type phones/Modems
24 VOIP trunks

Nortel changes the names on their PBXs like other people change socks!

The Option 11 is the smallest part of the CS1000 family that was discussed earlier in the posts.

So, why don't you want to consider a Mitel 200 with the gateway that would allow you to use the same phones since you have Mitel experience?

I recommended a Mitel in the begining and they nixed it.
They do not want to buy new phones and really are not hip on the voice over ip.
The BCM sounded like a really nice package that would fit. Your idea to buy a BCM400 and and a BCM50 or BCM200 neworked together sound good to me.
Does the BCM400 and 50 have ARS similar to the Mitel? You know, define dialing plans and call routes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back